Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrading From Red Dot Finderscope

Been looking into this all afternoon, and still have uncertainties, namely:

# Does a magnifying straight-through type give both inversions (up-down, lateral)?

# Does a RACI give neither of those inversions?

# Which inversion do you get with an RA uncorrected type?

Finally, is it better to have a finder which shows what the naked eye sees, or what your 'scope shows you?  (Mine gives a laterally inverted image.)

Thanks for any advice!

This is always a point of debate lol - some folks like the inverted view of a straight through finder - others like the image to be corrected up/down and left/right (my preference too). The answer really is whatever you are comfortable with cos it's your scope. :)

The answers to your three questions - 1. yes, 2. yes, 3. I've not used that configuration. :)

Have you maybe considered a Telrad there very useful for star hopping and you use them with both eyes open so no worries about inverted left to right images.

Oh by the way I own some of those jam jars (see sig)

Have you maybe considered a Telrad there very useful for star hopping and you use them with both eyes open so no worries about inverted left to right images.

Oh by the way I own some of those jam jars (see sig)

No offence meant! As a beginner looking for WA lens I got a shock when it arrived. Looked huge on the 'scope, so I changed it for an 18mm XCel LX which I'm happy with.

I have reverted back to an RDF combined with a low power eyepiece, using this method the target your searching for will always be in view, you can then centre the target object and change to a higher power eyepiece of your choice  :icon_biggrin:

Of course you can do this with any finder so it is simply down to your preference. There are some beautiful looking RACI finders out there that add the "bling" factor :happy7:

The Telrad works with circles 

1 degree then an outer with 2 degrees ect

get the target in the small circle and hey presto its in the FOV of your scope

Simples   :)

Gareth

Thats why it works for me 

Got it!  And I suppose the red dot can sometimes obscure a target.

Thanks, everyone.  I think I'm coming to a decision.  Without relying on GoTo, I could follow a chart or atlas, but clearly, for dim objects, a finder with some mag would be very beneficial.  

I reckon that seeing the sky while scanning might be better than looking down another eyepiece as in a RACI finder, so I think a straight-through is the way to go.

I suppose you just get used to the double inversion effect.

Is this (fairly) sound reasoning?

The inverted upside image is not really the problem with a straight through finder. As you say you get used to it. It is the difficult positions the finder can be at for comfortable viewing. The RACI helps to overcome this.

Yes, a valid point.  But am I right thinking that looking into a RACI finder limits your actual perception of the skies in comparison with looking straight through a finder with all the sky as a backdrop?

Yes, a valid point.  But am I right thinking that looking into a RACI finder limits your actual perception of the skies in comparison with looking straight through a finder with all the sky as a backdrop?

Yes, that's why many of us use a RACI in  conjunction with a Telrad.

I too have struggled with a RDF. I find it uncomfortable to use given the awkward positions you find yourself in. I decided to buy a 9x50 right angle finder to solve the problem. It did but that has now created a different problem. When I try to point it at the sky the magnification is so great I haven't a clue where exactly I'm looking! It's like a mini telescope! Folks talk about the Telrad but I doubt there would be room on my ST 102 for it. Really don't know what is best.

I too have struggled with a RDF. I find it uncomfortable to use given the awkward positions you find yourself in. I decided to buy a 9x50 right angle finder to solve the problem. It did but that has now created a different problem. When I try to point it at the sky the magnification is so great I haven't a clue where exactly I'm looking! It's like a mini telescope! Folks talk about the Telrad but I doubt there would be room on my ST 102 for it. Really don't know what is best.

I've ordered a 9x50 straight through and am hoping that by looking into it with the sky as a backdrop I'll know where I'm aiming. Fingers crossed!

Archived