NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My First Nebula

eyepod

I got my EQ5 Pro and 130pds in July and i have taken images of  M31 and M13 and a few other clusters but never any nebula. Thursday night was clear and the moon was out of the way so i thought i would take a chance and finally image M42. This is the result and i must say i'm very pleased with what i got.

I kept the ISO to 640 as i didn't want to burn out the core. Its not perfect of course, i think its a bit off centre, the "coma" is quite obvious and it may be bit too blue (unmodded camera). Also i forgot to lock down the focus tube and i think it moved slightly as i was pressing buttons on the camera. It was freezing cold out there, i didn't get in until 2am and had to get up at 6am for work the next day, so i was like a zombie on Friday but it was totally worth it. :icon_biggrin:

regards

Jason

40 x 50secs lights @ 640 ISO, Nikon D5300 unmodded

10 x Darks

18 x Flats

8 x Bias

post-14595-0-52154100-1452412874_thumb.p

Same for me - I don't know how I got through the day! ;)

Excellent first M42 too!

Haha I think the night was so good everyone on this forum was probably a little worse for wear on friday. 

How could anyone expect us to waste a full 12 hours of clear skies though?!?

Archived