Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASCOM: Driving me to despair.

Hi all,

I hope this is simple fix.

I have the ascom platform 6, i have the drivers, i have the celstron drivers, i have cartes de ciel.

Everytime i connect up, open CDC i click telescope, control panel, select and click on ASCOM celestron telescope then click connect.

I then get a box saying ascom tescope chooser, i pick celestron click properties but it wont let me put anything in the com port number so when i go back and click connect i keep getting a box saying: Error, the port name cannot be empty, but it wont let me type the port number in the com port box when i hit properties in the configure box, this is frustrating as its actually the only thing ASCOM really needs, i'm lost, please help.

Thanks.

After you've connected the mount to the PC, using control panel\device manager, you should be able to see the mount under "Ports", then querying the mount will give you the COMM port.

If it doesn't show up, then you need to get this fixed first.

Ok thanks, i have found after more searching i can force a COMport using ASCOM profile.

I did all this and named them according to my device manager as COM1, COM2, COM3, etc, tried again and they now show up but once again i click connect and this time a get a box saying Error: the port COM1 does not exist!!!!!!!, what am i doing wrong?

SectionExpanded.pngForce a COM port to appear in the list of available COM ports.

Occasionally, an installed COM port may not be detected by the Platform's GetAvailableCOMPorts command. You can confirm this through the Diagnostics Tool Tools / Available COM Ports test. To force a known COM port to appear in the list, its name should can be placed in the the ASCOM Profile ForceCOMPorts key using Profile Explorer.

1. Start Profile Explorer
  2. Click the + next to COMPortSettings
  3. Click on the ForceCOMPorts key
  4. Click in the Value column cell next to the grey * at the bottom of the value/data pane.
  5. Type the name of the COM port and press ENTER
  6. Repeat for any other COM ports required(See Figure 3)

Does your PC have a real COM (serial) port, or are you using a USB<->Serial adaptor? If you are plugging into a USB port on the computer then it's definitely the latter. Anyway, if it's a USB<->Serial adaptor check that the drivers are installed - sounds like Windows isn't finding your serial port at all, and until you fix that no amount of tinkering in ASCOM is going to help.

cheers,

Robin

Does your PC have a real COM (serial) port, or are you using a USB<->Serial adaptor? If you are plugging into a USB port on the computer then it's definitely the latter. Anyway, if it's a USB<->Serial adaptor check that the drivers are installed - sounds like Windows isn't finding your serial port at all, and until you fix that no amount of tinkering in ASCOM is going to help.

cheers,

Robin

Hi Robin, i'm using an adaptor from RVO to plug into one of my USB ports, when i checked my device manager i did click on the box for updates, after a few seconds it said "drivers for this device are already up to date". However it does say in the box which i do not understand:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

A device which does not exist was specified.

Open the device properties and check which com port it has been allocated.

I remember using a hitec adapter and had to reset all the com ports in order for it to work.

Can you try the cable in another pc?

Port 4 so i added that to ASCOM profile.

I have tried both my laptops as i use one for indoor and the other for outside.

I think i may just buy another cable and adaptor, the one i bought from RVO is an awful plastic bit of junk and only has a 4 pin RJ-12 and not 6.

Hi Robin, i'm using an adaptor from RVO to plug into one of my USB ports, when i checked my device manager i did click on the box for updates, after a few seconds it said "drivers for this device are already up to date". However it does say in the box which i do not understand:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

A device which does not exist was specified.

Sounds likely you have a 'Prolific' chipset adaptor - they decided to pull support for their old devices in Windows 8 (unforgivable in my opinion). You have to download and older version of the drivers and install those to make it work.

http://superuser.com/questions/544485/this-device-cannot-start-code-10-gigaware-usb-serial-adapter

Robin

• Like 1

Sounds likely you have a 'Prolific' chipset adaptor - they decided to pull support for their old devices in Windows 8 (unforgivable in my opinion). You have to download and older version of the drivers and install those to make it work.

http://superuser.com/questions/544485/this-device-cannot-start-code-10-gigaware-usb-serial-adapter

Robin

Thank you very much Robin, i'll try it now.

Thanks also Jonk, i'll let you know.

Windows will automatically try & use the latest driver installed on your system, which if it is a Proiific device, the latest driver won't work, you need to install and use Version 3.2.

It Is available, but needs to be searched for, but beware the dodgy download sites

Windows will automatically try & use the latest driver installed on your system, which if it is a Proiific device, the latest driver won't work, you need to install and use Version 3.2.

It Is available, but needs to be searched for, but beware the dodgy download sites

yes the simulator works fine and i used these instructions to make sure i picked the correct driver. So even more stumped as whi it wont detect my scope, i must be doing something fudamentally wrong.

Simply install drivers, then go to Device Manager -> Right click on Prolific-to-Serial Comm Port and select Update Driver Software….

In Update Driver Software window chose: Browse my computer for driver software -> Let mi pick from list of devices on my computer, Select Prolific USB-to_Serial Comm Port version 3.3.2.105 model [10/27/2008] from model list and click next.

Alternatively get a FTDI chipset serial adapter - these should work with later versions of Windows

Sent from my SM-G900F using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

I may have to but this one really should work now it's had the driver downgrade as it is recognising the port (tested on another device) but not detectting the scope, i must really be missing something simple but i think my brain is fried now :)

Some adaptors only work if you connect via the scope's handset in 'pc direct mode' rather than directly (in the case of skywatcher mounts, not sure about others) - have you tried this?

• Like 1

Some adaptors only work if you connect via the scope's handset in 'pc direct mode' rather than directly (in the case of skywatcher mounts, not sure about others) - have you tried this?

I'll give it a shot in a bit thanks Jonk, it's worth a try.

• 1 year later...

I know this topic is old, but I thought I'd continue as it's one of the only few threads similar to mine.

My serial adaptor is COM5. All working fine.

When I get to the properties, there is no COM5. I have a Synscan AZ, and the handset is broken. So I am going direct. I have also downloaded the Skywatcher driver, which I am told is for my mount.

When I add COM5 to the 'force' option, it still doesn't appear. The logs say:

19:56:05.799 Init                      Driver Version 6.0.6262.14792
19:56:05.830 GetId                     Generated new ID: 1
19:56:05.830 Telescope                 Instance ID: 1, new: Driver ID: ASCOM.SkyWatcher.Telescope
19:56:05.862 Set Connected             Set Connected 1 to: True, AlreadyConnected: False
19:56:05.909 ConnectSerial             unexpected serial exception System.ArgumentException: The PortName cannot be empty.
Parameter name: PortName
   at ASCOM.Utilities.Serial.set_Connected(Boolean Connecting) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.Utilities\ASCOM.Utilities\Serial.vb:line 520
   at ASCOM.SkyWatcher.Serial.set_Connected(Boolean value)
   at ASCOM.SkyWatcher.Serial.ConnectSerial()
19:56:05.924 DisconnectSerial          force True
19:56:05.924 DisconnectSerial          finished
19:56:05.924 Connected                 set True, id 1, error System.ArgumentException: The PortName cannot be empty.
Parameter name: PortName
   at ASCOM.Utilities.Serial.set_Connected(Boolean Connecting) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.Utilities\ASCOM.Utilities\Serial.vb:line 520
   at ASCOM.SkyWatcher.Serial.set_Connected(Boolean value)
   at ASCOM.SkyWatcher.Serial.ConnectSerial()
   at ASCOM.SkyWatcher.Serial.SetConnected(Int64 id, Boolean value)
   at ASCOM.SkyWatcher.Telescope.set_Connected(Boolean value)
19:56:07.900 Set Connected             Set Connected 1 to: False, Successfully removed: False
19:56:07.900 DisconnectSerial          force False
19:56:07.900 DisconnectSerial          serial Disconnect error System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ASCOM.SkyWatcher.Serial.DisconnectSerial(Boolean force)
19:56:07.900 Connected                 set False, id 1, error System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
19:56:10.576 Set Connected             Set Connected 1 to: False, Successfully removed: False
19:56:10.576 DisconnectSerial          force False
19:56:10.576 DisconnectSerial          serial Disconnect error System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
19:56:10.576 Connected                 set False, id 1, error System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
20:05:18.439 GetId                     Generated new ID: 2
20:05:18.439 Telescope                 Instance ID: 2, new: Driver ID: ASCOM.SkyWatcher.Telescope
20:05:20.549 IdentifySynScan           Port COM5 - found nothing

I checks COM5, but doesn't offer it on the drop down list.

I have wired my own RS232

RX-Pin2 TX-Pin3 Signal Gnd-Pin 5

Why can't the programme at least detect that COM5 is there? if there's an issue, it should at least say: Yes, it's there, but there's something wrong...

Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply.

My 'adapted' RS232 was producing the required voltage and signal. That aside, there was still no option to choose a COM. Any ideas on why?

I also purchased a TTL connector to remove all arguments. The programme still doesn't allow any COM whatsoever. Even if I 'force' it to give me the COM5 where I am connected to. Device manager says COM5... unless that's different somehow?