Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Year's Eve Consolation Widefields

Finally had a gap in the weather yesterday down in Cornwall but had a bit of a disastrous session. Was getting terrible trailing on the first mount I set up that I was unable to fix. Then I set up my EQ3 and just had it shooting Orion when a shower blew in and had to pack up in a hurry. However, I did get a few nice consolation shots with my new Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens from a fixed tripod. These are all 30 seconds at ISO 3200.

24023168411_bbdb3c0f15_c.jpg

23477540974_b1dde3c755_c.jpg

I timed the shot above so that a car leaving the site did a little light-painting for me.

23809582480_d430bbae80_c.jpg

A hint of Barnard's loop here but Orion was low at the time and I've picked up some light pollution, wish I'd shot this again later in the evening.

23996911212_58ec83ccbc_c.jpg

I also tried taking some subs of the Milky Way but I'm having no joy stacking them so far, it's just coming out as a distorted mess.

Finally, I did also manage a quick test of my new Ha clip-in filter. This is just 30 seconds with a 50mm lens at f1.4.

23478699293_5ea664cf5b.jpg

Happy new year everyone, I hope 2016 brings you clearer skies than we've had in the last couple of months.

Glad you like them, the Samyang really is the business for fixed-tripod shots. I was hoping to take it to a couple local landmarks but the weather has been dreadful.

Absolutely love that first image. Would love a go at the Raw file. I'm sure there's more in there to come out. Beautiful sky.

I'm on a slow connection atm but I could put it on Dropbox when I'm home if you like. I did very little processing on it myself. That particular shot was taken with an unmodded camera which is why the NA nebula isn't showing up very clearly.

Archived