SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Problem with Lunt LS50T Ha Pressure Tuner - Help Please

Before I contact the supplier, has anyone had this problem?

I got the scope only in September this year. I've used it a number of times without problems, although as others have said, the pressure tuner had to be screwed in a long way to get prom detail. I last used it on November 26th, and due to the bad weather, haven't touched it until this morning.

I went to use it, screwed in the pressure tuner until I got surface detail, and then watched as the imaged faded back into what looked like a white light view. After several attempts, I unscrewed the tuner, to check for dirt or grit in the brass body, and it was clean with no sign of burrs or any damage. After refitting, it still lost pressure.

Has anyone had this problem on any Lunt pressure tuner? Not sure if it is the screw knob that is leaking, or whether the leak is further inside the tuner itself.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading your original post, I made the incorrect assumption that you just had bad seeing conditions.  However, after watching the video there is no doubt the tuner is leaking.  I have a Lunt 50 and have never experienced that failure.

Good luck with the fix in the UK.  Here in the US, I live fairly close to the factory and can attest that they stand behind their products.

Yes, it seems to have a leak, but I don't know if is leaking past the rubber O ring or whether the leak is inside the tuning unit somewhere. The video is real time, so from detail to white light views is 30 seconds or less.

Stephen,

You may have seen our lengthy threads on this subject from earlier in the year - I ended up attaching a second o-ring to my pressure tuner to get the required image clarity, but I wasn't experiencing anything like the pressure loss shown on your video. It's difficult to say at this stage whether it's something simple, like a malfunctioning o-ring, or lack of grease, or something more serious, but am sure Lunt/retailer will sort you out - customer service is generally very good. Do report back and tell us how it goes.

I must admit when I was looking around for a used Lunt front etalon and later a complete scope for double stacking I avoided getting a pressure tuner version.  For me, too many people seemed to have problems, and the thought of having to lubricate the thing put me right off.  It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect it to work without on-going maintenance surely?  I'd never had any problems using the usual tuning wheel and there's very little to go wrong.  I've never had any reason to regret my decision. 

I must admit when I was looking around for a used Lunt front etalon and later a complete scope for double stacking I avoided getting a pressure tuner version.  For me, too many people seemed to have problems, and the thought of having to lubricate the thing put me right off.  It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect it to work without on-going maintenance surely?  I'd never had any problems using the usual tuning wheel and there's very little to go wrong.  I've never had any reason to regret my decision.

Paul,

I can imagine reading through the threads on this and other websites might be enough to put you off - not just about the pressure tuner but also the focuser - but I think the vast majority of Lunt 50 owners are happy with their scopes. I've actually enjoyed the process of learning how to get more out of my LS50, but it was a learning curve. Once you've got used to the system, and the idiosyncrasies of your own scope, they are a joy to use - though I would be interested to try a tilt tuned version.

I heard back from the retailer who has been in touch with Lunt, and I'm being sent some grease and a replacement 'O' ring as a first step to solving the problem. If that doesn't sort it, it will probably have to be returned for checking/testing. This could be a quick repair, but then weeks to wait for a clear sky to test it!!

I'm hoping it was just the 'O' ring at fault.

I've had the pleasure of using Paul's 60mm Lunt on several occasions, in double stack mode with a full aperture front extra etalon it give the best Ha views I've seen at this aperture bar none.  :smiley:

When saying full aperture is this a 60mm etalon or Lunts DS 50mm etalon? I'm wondering if there is a full 60mm DS etalon avaiable for this scope.

Gerry.  The DS etalon is indeed 60mm.  I advertised for one some months ago  and luckily someone had one they no longer used.  It worked very well as a single stack on my SW 80mm Equinox  (Pete Drew kindly made me an adapter so it would fit)  and later I advertised for a 60mm Lunt scope, and put the 60mm etalon on it to make a double stack system.  (it just screws straight on) I thought they were still available, perhaps in Germany if not over here.  I think they may be available to dealers over here but they may be special order, I'm not sure.  Regards, Paul

PS Just realised you're in Canada, and not 'over here', sorry.

I just don't understand why Lunt offers the 60mm SS with a 50mm to DS it... I just looked again and if the 60mm etalon like yours is purchased a blocking filter comes with it adding expense...Good to know that it will screw right on there. It sounds like you are getting more contrast with the DS 60mm than I am with the Quark- my polarizer does bring out the contrast greatly though. The filamenys are darl but not really dark.

I wonder how a pressure tuned Lunt would work in cold temps?

I sure wish I could look through some of this stuff before buying lol!

I agree with you Gerry, it's strange to supply a 50mm etalon to DS the 60mm.  The only think I can think of is that it is a marketing strategy to encourage customers who may pay for the 50:60 combination but wouldn't shell out for a 60:60 combination. As I've never used a pressure tuner I can't really comment if it might work in very cold climates, though as there have been problems with it anyway I'd be wary. I would like to try one for myself sometime though - but I'll still stick with the old fashioned type tuning :icon_biggrin:

Sorry for your continued problems Stephen, I do how it's sorted very soon for you.

I was sent a replacement 'O' ring and grease, and it was clear this morning to test the scope, but the problem persists. So I guess the next step is returning it for testing/repair. Waiting to hear from the store.

I'm interested in what the problem turns out to be, sorry that you are having the issue with the Lunt.

I agree with you Gerry, it's strange to supply a 50mm etalon to DS the 60mm.  The only think I can think of is that it is a marketing strategy to encourage customers who may pay for the 50:60 combination but wouldn't shell out for a 60:60 combination. As I've never used a pressure tuner I can't really comment if it might work in very cold climates, though as there have been problems with it anyway I'd be wary. I would like to try one for myself sometime though - but I'll still stick with the old fashioned type tuning :icon_biggrin:

Sorry for your continued problems Stephen, I do how it's sorted very soon for you.

Yes its kind of strange, why not just buy the 50mm DS? With my exchange rate where it is now the Lunt purchase will be on hold I think :hmh:

• 2 months later...

The latest update on this sorry tale is that I sent the scope back to the shop, who then forwarded it on to Germany for repair. That was six and a half weeks ago. I hadn't heard anything, so dropped the supplier an email. They came back to say that Lunt in Germany is waiting for their chief technician to come back from leave on April 4th, and he'll look at it then!!

Has he been on leave for the last six weeks too, and is there absolutely nobody else capable of servicing or even checking what's wrong during that time??

I'm not a happy bunny at all, and now it seems that the chance of getting it back for the Mercury transit in May is very slim. Considering I bought the scope new six months ago, and for three of those it hasn't worked, I'm miffed. I understand that they had to send me an O ring to test first, but since then, the support from Lunt has been very poor.

2 hours ago, ArmyAirForce said:

Has he been on leave for the last six weeks too, and is there absolutely nobody else capable of servicing or even checking what's wrong during that time??

Hi Stephen, sorry for your ongoing problems, I think I would have just returned it as unsuitable for purpose and demanded my money back, no help now I know.

I used to work for a company that had no interest in customer relations and trotted out a long list of stock excuses for my non appearance, often without telling me. The usual, car breakdown, gone on holiday, death in the family, caught the flu, they told one cutomer I had broken my leg, I wondered why they looked a bit bemused when I eventually arrived a week late, lol

Dave

The trader I bought it from has been ok regarding contact and information. It's Lunt in Germany who have really been dragging their heels. I would expect faulty goods to have been looked at in the first week, and a brief report sent back to the customer ( directly or via the dealer ), with repairs to follow soon after. I can't believe there's only one person able to service and repair their products in a Europe wide distributor.

Archived