NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Under 7s

Hi just a quick question my friend has bought his daughter a telescope for Christmas myself I think it may be a bit to young as she will be up late at night I told him I can take them both to our local observatory is there a book that will be ok for her age thanks Stephen

As a minor warning - do not assume that at 7 or a bit under they will not absorb information like a sponge. The more you tell them the more they take in. It is likely not to be a case of something simple enough but something to keep them interested which they keep learning from. Get a book they can grow into for the next 6 months, then expect that they will need a more advanced book.

Going by many threads here in the run up to Christmas and buying scopes for kids...............7 yrs old is a bit late to the hobby. It seems many people are introducing kids/grand kids as young as 4 yrs old...........................which i think is too early. I took up astronomy when i was about 6-7 yrs old. Its a different generation though. I mean, these days kids as young as 3 are now using tablets.

Going by many threads here in the run up to Christmas and buying scopes for kids...............7 yrs old is a bit late to the hobby. It seems many people are introducing kids/grand kids as young as 4 yrs old...........................which i think is too early. I took up astronomy when i was about 6-7 yrs old. Its a different generation though. I mean, these days kids as young as 3 are now using tablets.

I think it depends on what you mean by introducing to the hobby.

If my child asks what I am looking at through my scope then I will show them.

I would not buy my children a scope as they are too young per she but they enjoy the simple stuff, moon craters etc.

It seems to help if you explain what they are looking at. Sounds simple. But it is the keeping them engaged that is the problem.

The book of constellations looks like a good start. You can tell the story of the characters involved as you hunt down the constellation together.

My 6 year old came home from school demanding to see O'Bryan through the telescope.... He thought that the Nebula was cool as we chatted about what went on there.

Paul

My 5 and 6 year olds are able to name the planets in order, and which ones are gas giants. My eldest also insists the Pluto is a planet, even though it never has been in her lifetime!

Don't worry about it. Make it exciting and kids of all ages (3-93) can be interested.

At that age, my parent bought me a copy of The Stars by H. A. Rey. It bored me to no end. I never finished reading it. It still lives in my library though - awaiting a victim, perhaps..... :evil::p

Planets fascinated me. My first set of books was the 1963 full set of the Encyclopedia Britannica - Aadvark to Zygote. So my mother started taking me to the town library, where I loaded up on astronomy books. I enjoyed reading the books by Fred Hoyle - later on he lost much credit as he believed in the "Steady State" theory which denounced the concept of an expanding universe - but I was too young to wrap my head around that at the time. I would have loved to have a telescope back then, and some sort of interactive program to play with. Like Stellarium. And someone patient enough to help me learn how to use that and/or similar.

I'd say a trip to an observatory would have been great! I did get taken to the Boston Museum of Science and it's planetarium. That changed my life! It sent me down the slippery-slope of science - for keeps. Having some adult guidance to learn more about astronomy would have been great. As well as meeting other kids who were similarily 'afflicted' with the astronomy-bug to 'play' with and compare notes with. And anything with ties to astronomy would have been most welcome - toys, t-shirts, pictures, etc. Immersion in the field, once I was hooked, of course.

All kids are different though. I'm sure your 7-ish will make it clear they are hooked - if they become such. Don't push it though. Let them decide on their own. If they do - then keep nourishing their hobby - which might become a career.

That's my 2¢ -

Dave

Archived