NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Looking for recommendations for DSLR modding

JR1987

I  want to take the plunge into the world of modded DSLR, As I feel so limited because I want to shoot alot of nebula. 

Does anyone have any recommendations of where/who to send it to? I use a Canon 100d. 

Also is it best to get the full spectrum mod?  baring in mind I only have interest in using my DSLR for astro use. 

And one last thing... If i use my IDAS light pollution filter, does this block any signal that I would actually want in my image after the mod?

Thanks

What you are doing when you mod the camera sensor is to remove or replace the IR cut filter in front of the sensor.  The standard filter cuts out infra-red, but in the process cuts out a lot of the red end of the visible spectrum.  Significantly for AP, at 656nm, the wavelength of Ha which many nebulae emit light, the standard filter cuts out about 90% of the light reaching the sensor.  There are two options I'm aware of, 1) remove the filter, or 2) replace the filter with a full-spectrum filter which still cuts out IR but still allows through close to 100% through the visible spectrum, including the important 656nm.  The removal option affects autofocus with any lenses, so if you do want to use this, you should opt for option 2.  Either way, 'normal' photography will come up very red, and will therefore need a custom White Balance to be set.  If you're just using it for AP, then you probably don't care about that.

Now, adding an IDAS filter into the path still allows the full spectrum to reach the sensor, but cuts out specific wavelengths of particular types of street lights (mainly the sodium based ones).   I used a Canon with a replacement Baader full spectrum filter. 

I got mine done about 3 years ago by these guys: http://www.funkyelectronics.com  They don't specifically to astro mods, but they do IR conversions for regular photographers.  I sent it to them to be repaired anyway (broken CF card pins).  I asked them if I could send it along with a Baader full spectrum filter and have them replace the stock one while they were in there, which they did.  It cost me just over £100 not including the cost of the filter, but that included fixing bent CF card pins.  Very reasonable I thought.  Sorry, I can't remember where I got the filter from, but I'm sure you could find one on the web.

Hope that helps,

Craig

+1 for Juan

Just have the filter removal, and it will be only around £75 I think, as there is still and IR filter in front of the sensor that does a superb job, these camera have two filters in front of the sensor, one is left in as it does not cut the Ha but the other one is removed that does, they both cut IR so as one is left in place all will be good.

I have mine done by Juan, superb service and very quick.

Also if you then but a LP filter you will be ab,e to make do with the standard one without IR cut, as you will already have that, which is exactly what I and many others have done.

I think the mod is called "hot mirror removal" or "LP1 filter removal" they both mean the same thing, check out his site for,up,to date prices here:

http://m.cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Customer-Modification-Service.html

AB. :)

Just looked at cheapastronomy site.  That looks like a pretty good deal.  Does anyone have any views on the pros and cons of the baader filter vs none?  I ask despite my previous comments as they state they re-shimm to maintain autofocus without the filter.

Another recommendation for Cheap Astrophotography here. If you don't intend to use the camera for daylight use then I don't think there is any point in having a Baader filter fitted. A common point of confusion is that the removal of the filter for modding doesn't make it full spectrum, there is a second UV/IR filter in the camera (the LP1 filter).

Just looked at cheapastronomy site. That looks like a pretty good deal. Does anyone have any views on the pros and cons of the baader filter vs none? I ask despite my previous comments as they state they re-shimm to maintain autofocus without the filter.

I have just the filter removal, cheapest option, and mine was re shimmed as part of the service, so focus is perfect as it was before.

I said LP1 filter removal in my previous post and I think it should have said LP2 removal, LP1 filter is the one left in the camera that gives excellent IR cur....sorry about that.

Regards

AB

Archived