Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M33 RGB

pyrasanth

Whilst I was imaging M31 I also started to image M33 with the RASA.

The result is below. I have not integrated the L or HA data which I'm currently looking at.

Atik 11000, Celestron RASA 30 subs in each channel of 4 minutes each.

Let me know what you think!

post-36426-0-32251500-1449879461_thumb.p

I think you should watch your black point. I'm pretty sure your histogram will show clipping because you have a very black background sky and then only a hint of the outer arms. The brighter part of the galaxy rather jumps out of the background with not much in between.

Olly

I think you should watch your black point. I'm pretty sure your histogram will show clipping because you have a very black background sky and then only a hint of the outer arms. The brighter part of the galaxy rather jumps out of the background with not much in between.

Olly

Hi Olly,

The beauty of our own photography is that it allows us to be creative. Do we always need to look for technical accuracy or create an image that looks pleasing?

At this stage in my astronomical career I'm trying to create pleasing images so they may not reflect the objects in all there glory. I have very poor skies to contend with & I've found that some of the fainter details are lost in the sky glow so I'd sooner have black skies than light skies showing the surrounding pollution.

This is just my take. I really admire your work & valuable advice. I will revisit the image & see if I can lift anymore detail.

Clear skies to you all & I wish you all great photography no matter how you all choose to display the results of your efforts.

Hi

nice attempt, but I agree with Olly,  I also don't like black sky backgrounds , as the sky is never that colour,  and think he was just trying to be helpful,

I understand what your saying about local light pollution, as I suffer the same, its not easy for us in the UK to get a nice balance.  so well done for trying.

by the way your stars are not round in parts when you look closer.

Paul j

Hi

nice attempt, but I agree with Olly,  I also don't like black sky backgrounds , as the sky is never that colour,  and think he was just trying to be helpful,

I understand what your saying about local light pollution, as I suffer the same, its not easy for us in the UK to get a nice balance.  so well done for trying.

by the way your stars are not round in parts when you look closer.

Paul j

There are a few stars not round. I've not inspected all the subs and excluded the "baddies". I will take a look & see if I can improve the image. The problem is the sky pollution- going blacker hides a lot of the fainter pollution but I guess it's a trade off as always.

I think some of us can be a bit over critical maybe?. I mean that in the best possible way. At this time of year and with our very poor weather it is nice to see a pleasing image put up for us to look at. I was looking at Sara's pictures the other day and she is very critical of her photos, but they are also very nice to see. I cannot get anything at home and so am very jealous of any photos at present.

I would love to get a few nice shots even with slightly out of round stars or too dark backgrounds. :Envy:  I am not saying we should not strive to be better, but just appreciate what we can get a bit more. :p

Derek

I think some of us can be a bit over critical maybe?. I mean that in the best possible way. At this time of year and with our very poor weather it is nice to see a pleasing image put up for us to look at. I was looking at Sara's pictures the other day and she is very critical of her photos, but they are also very nice to see. I cannot get anything at home and so am very jealous of any photos at present.

I would love to get a few nice shots even with slightly out of round stars or too dark backgrounds. :Envy:  I am not saying we should not strive to be better, but just appreciate what we can get a bit more. :p

Derek

This is a very nice & realistic comment. I don't enjoy pristine dark sky's so I'm often lucky to get the images I can show you. It is only because of very expensive filters & fast optics that I can capture anything at all. I'm 4 miles from Birmingham International airport & my site is over looked by 5 sodium street lamps & a building that burns a brilliant white light at night sending a light cone into the eastern sky. I'm proud of my progress having just got my first image published in Astronomy Now but I'm always ready to listen to criticism but sometimes that elusive faint detail is just not there- it has been destroyed for everybody who is forced to image under light polluted skies.

hi

if my comments appeared highly critical,  then I'm sorry, if I hurt anyone's feelings,   its was mainly constructive advice,  which as a imager myself would welcome any criticism  good or bad.  that way I can still improve even after all these years of trying.   And I have had plenty, that's whats good about this forum and others , is the feedback.  So we can learn from others and help each other improve.

In my opinion your black sky status is not giving yourself  room for improvement.    I just posted an image of the pinwheel on this forum from my light polluted location , and have taken on board the comments as constructive.  

good luck

Paul J

I don't enjoy pristine dark sky's .....

If I had £1 for every time someone thinks I have pristine dark skies ............ I'd be able to move to somewhere with pristine dark skies  :D

I'm 20km from Spains 3rd city ...... we all have our issues trust me :)

Archived