Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M64 - The Black Eye Galaxy - new guider

steppenwolf

I have recently made a new set of guide rings to allow me to use an old 500mm telephoto lens as my guide 'scope on my 10" Reflector. This will allow me to continue to use the 80mm ST Refractor as the guide 'scope for my 80mm ED Refractor so changing from one imaging 'scope to the other will be much quicker in the future as the guide 'scopes will already be attached to their respective imaging 'scopes.

Although the conditions tonight were awful for DSO work, especially with the Moon glow to contend with, I was determined to try the new system out. I am still capturing images as I type this but the following image comprises of 26 subs of 200 seconds each taken with my Skywatcher 10" Reflector and SXVF-H9C camera:-

m64_200508_l.jpg

Well, you've tried the new system out Steve, and from my point of view, it can be termed a categorical success. That one image has just given it the thumbs up, despite la Lune shoving her oar in.

Wonderful result.

Ron. :shocked:

Thanks for your comments folks, I have to say that I am very pleased with the performance of the old telephoto lens as a guide 'scope. As it is an F8 with a narrower FOV than the F5 400mm focal length ST Refractor that I normally use it does make it a little more difficult to find a suitable guide star but at least I have made collimating rings for it to give me a little flexibility but NOT, I hope FLEXURE! In case anyone is interested in what the guide 'scope looks like, here it is:-

500_guide_scope_2.jpg

500_guide_scope_1.jpg

Archived