NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Updating ASI120MC to ASI224MC is it worth it?

PeterCPC

I have been using the ASI120MC quite happily but wondered if it would be worth up dating to the ASI224MC?

Has anyone done this and what did you find - was it worth it? ZWO say yes but they would wouldn't they.

I am thinking in terms of planetary imaging. Any thought would be appreciated.

Peter

I've taken the jump, largely due to Darryl's initial reports on the camera in imaging Saturn (a comparison between the mono ASI174 and the ASI224MC) - http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/514432-asi174mm-vs-asi224mc/

I'd definitely recommend reading this.   The price, sensitivity and speed of the ASI224MC make this extremely attractive and even with the resolution offered by the C14 it is difficult to discern much advantage from the mono over and above the OSC (though these were not conducted as side by side tests).

I've only used my camera on three occassions (including a session this morning on Jupiter), but despite the usual poor to moderate seeing the camera is returning some very promising data for so early in the season.    I'm getting frame rates of about 160FPS on Jupiter in Luminance at 640x480 ROI, which is at least 60 FPS faster than I could record with the USB2 QHY5L-IIM.    IR sensitivity is far better than the Aptina MT9M034 sensor, despite the bayering.

Edit - Sorry Pete, just noticed you had the ASI120MC, which uses the AR0130CS sensor.   Though think you may see an even bigger step up in comparison to the IMX224.

There's also an interesting early review on sensor noise here - http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/503061-new-asi224-camera-with-extremely-low-read-noise/

Early days, though I'm very happy thus far :)

Archived