Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Adventurer Tripod Help

Hi Guys

I need a recomendation on a good tripod for my sky watcher star adventurer i have been looking at these two...

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-mt055xpro3-tripod/p1549518?mkwid=se5ao6zvn_dc&pcrid=89741478059&kword=&match=&plid=&gclid=cjwkeaiavpgxbrch3ycgpdbctmysjabqhrvwmsvshcn89rhbws5bgcwemb5rqr49si51srrjwjma0boc5r3w_wcb

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MeFOTO-Twist-Roadtrip-Carbon-Tripod/dp/B00NMPNU48/ref=sr_1_133?ie=UTF8&qid=1446491740&sr=8-133&keywords=tripods

I really like the second red & black one and the reviews are good but the top plate looks a litlle small, does that matter as long as its a solid connection and a stable tripod?

Advice or other recommendations would be really appricated, dont really want to wander past the £215/£230 bracket if i dont have to.

cheers

Might be worth looking at these http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/RSF-324_Alloy_4_Section_Tripod.html#nogo I use one with my camera and its ok with heavy lenses but the scope steel legged tripods could be a better bet.

The problem you might have is that most tripods get less stable when you extend them one fix is to use RA camera finder with the polarscope which allows you to keep it low.

Alan

cheers guys

I love the EQ6 idea but am looking for something a bit more portable hence (in my mind anyway) the carbon fibre manfrotto would be compact but strong. 

I will always shoot from the lowest point i can anyway and rarely extend the legs, i always figured whats the point your photographing up at the sky anyway rather then viewing and whilst its lower to the ground its lessens the profile for the wind to get hold off.

I'll check out the Velbon DV7000 tripod, Cheers Dave

I just received the 055 this week, quite stunning? http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/249342-3-legged-thing/page-2#entry2799017

Got the matching 222 too  :grin:

You need to decide if Carbon Fibre or Alluminium is best for you.

The Alu is heavier, to me that gives  more stability, and their is a hook to attach a weight or camera bag to add extra weight to dampen any vibration, no doubt the fibre has the same.  I did not study too much detail in the Carbon version as the price is higher, and I just knew I wanted the ALU version.

The New 055 is just solid and cant wait to test it properly outside. 

I also bought the 3 Legged Thing 'Tony' which IMHO is  not suitable for my needs to hold a Binocular, off axis, whereas the Manfrotto has the 90° horizontal  centre column.

I have lots of Carbon fibre in use when match fishing,  and although  match fishing poles are  very  fine and tapered, and the 'tackle' is extremely fine (  dimensionally, a fishing pole has  no comparison to a tripod  leg -  but my poles are still  very easy to break if mishandled )  If my poles were  of aluminium construction, I`d have saved a small fortune by now? 

......from their brochure.........The 055 is also available in carbon fibre versions providing extra camera stability and maximum transportability, thanks to increased rigidity and reduced weight [sic]

Manfrotto 055 3 Leg Section Tripod with X Pro 3 Way Head Kit - Aluminium £207.95  (Amazon) was my choice.

cheers guys

I'll check out the Velbon DV7000 tripod, Cheers Dave

It has a nice solid leg spreader which seems to be absent from most photo tripods, in the lowest position it's really solid but makes it hard to see up the polar scope so need a right angle adapter for it.

Dave

Well the Manfrotto 055 turned up and for the last 30 mins i have been having a play.

First impressions are that its very good. Its very solid, good feel to all the leg locks and the top plate is nice and big which is good for the size of the SA Base. as all ways with these things the bubble level is slightly out but i always level with a boat level anyways so no big deal.

As a quick test I have had the Star Sdventurer mounted on it along with my DSLR and hooked it up to the PC and live view, i have had it set at all three hieghts with the center column down and can walk around on the floor without seeing any vibration, you can place your hands on it without setting it off and even use the ALT/AZ bolts with no real adverse shaking.

I tried it with the centre column up and its by no means bad, there is a little vibration visible if you place your hands on it but i reckon if you left it alone in the dark you'd be fine. I personally won't use the center column anyways so its again big deal.

Be interested to get it all outside and see if its any kop in the wind but right now after my initial play i have very high expectations

very happy bunny

Cheers

....just rechecked my 'bubble' on the main tripod.  Its touching  both the centre spot ( looks like a  small silver ball bearing?)  and the edge of the  black circle, when  in the living room, and similar in the kitchen ( laminate flooring -  timber framed house )  so as long as its inside the black circle, that's fine for me, and  outside in the garden,  paving slab, especially one, the bubble is dead centre  ( though it could be off centre,  making the bubble look good, when in fact the tripod is at fault, and the house really is level? ) I believe the paving slab :smiley:  so no real issues for me. I also  removed the 3  rubber feet, their about 2" long  to see if there was any improvement ( I thought I had torn one on the first  pull, but its concertinaed! ) tight to come out, easy to replace.

My 3 way head  has three more spirit bubbles? 

You mention the leg locks, their quality, but I was initially reaching for the wrong end of the lever (just me, but overcome that issue now ) ?  You'll know what I mean!

I still haven't been out with my binoculars yet on the 222 mount, but I'm certain its going to be fine.

Archived