The Three Planeteers: Enter the XW5

Had a look at the sun with the XW5, using the SolarMax 60mm, and compared it to the SLV 5. Both show magnificent detail, but the XW shows the entire disk with room to spare, unlike the little SLV. The SLV is much lighter, however, so keeps the balance better. It might still be useful in a travel package

Congratulations, all of you with a XW 5mm coming into your lives, I feel a 6mm Delos in the mix wouldn't hurt, I do enjoy spending other people's money.

Yes the Delos 6 would fit there, but I might prefer getting an SLV6. Much closer to parfocal with the XWs. A Morpheus 9mm night also squeeze in there

Yes the Delos 6 would fit there, but I might prefer getting an SLV6. Much closer to parfocal with the XWs. A Morpheus 9mm night also squeeze in there

Thats the one annoyance that I find moving between my XW's and Radian's - the focal point of the latter is a good bit further out than the former. You can loose an object at high power when making that adjustment with an undriven scope. The Delos and I guess the Delite's will be similar because TV seem to like their "B" par-focal point, when the design will allow it, but it is a fair way from most other eyepieces. I believe the 17.3 and 21.2 Delos reach focus closer to the XW's.

Pity the Vixen SSW's did not fare a bit better and have better eye relief for you - they are very close to par-focal with the XW's and their central 75 degree FoV is very "XW-like" in performance. Maybe Vixen should review the design, reduce the field stop a little and push out the eye relief ?. Might have a real winner then :smiley:

Archived