Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Skywatcher - but which one....?

So, I've been really getting back into this over the last few weeks and have seen some cracking views with just my Firstscope. I particularly like finding my way around and seeing things I hadn't previously been able to.

My most recent 'high' was Jupiter and its moons - a perfect dawn view with what I have and can't wait to see it in more detail. Which is now where my dilemma lies.

I was adamant I was getting a Dob 200p (saving up) cos it will give me great views and keep me working on finding stuff manually (which I think is part of the fun).

But,

After seeing my beloved Jupiter (that and Saturn are boyhood dreams) I was conscious that for some of these gorgeous sights I may want to do a bit of AP to keep a reminder - which (I think) ain't that practical on the Dob.

So, my other choice (in a similar price range) is the Skymax 127 which would appear to give me the flexibility to AP too as well as benefits of tracking etc.

Looking at view sim they both give me a great view of Jupiter as well (especially with a Barlow) which is my gauge at the mo. I know that isn't very scientific but it was totally cloudy this morning so I had to do something at 4am! Lol

Thoughts anyone? Pretty please [emoji3]

Dazzyt

FirstScope (soon to be upgraded - TBC)

I believe it is possible to get images of the moon and Jupiter / Saturn using a modded webcam and software like registax with the dob.

Obviously for visual aperture is king.

Can't speak for the skymax but I'm sure others more informed than me will be along shortly.

All the best with your decision.

Glynn

Cheers Glynn. Yeah, I think planets would be OK on the Dob but if I saw (or wanted to see better) some DSOs then I think that is where the Dob is limited for AP.

Decisions, decisions lol [emoji3]

Dazzyt

As you'll read from my signature, I presently own three Sky-Watcher scopes. I have, over two and a half years owned two others (200p and 250px Dobs) and sold them in turn as I moved on to the 300p Flextube, the largest aperture Dob I can physically cope with. I am ever curious to try out a frac like the 80ED but hesitate since I just don't seem to muster the enthusiasm and patience and enjoyment of delayed gratification that I read is needed for 72 hours of exposures in clear skies using coloured and narrowband filters and a CCD camera to capture some DSOs. I have done some webcam planetary imaging (Saturn and Jupiter) but the results were at best 'interesting'. If I was limited to just one of the five scopes I have owned, then I would with hindsight go for the 200p Dob. As my wife said, "that's not a telescope, it's a cannon!" And she was much more impressed when I arrived home with my SkyMax 150 Pro on its EQ5 Pro SynScan "now that's a proper telescope". Nevertheless for much of the observing opportunities the clouds allow, the 200p would serve me very well. It would perfectly well have taken the attached photo of the Lunar Eclipse (actually I used my 150p on the EQ5 and my ordinary Canon 450D). For planetary AP start with a very stable tracking EQ mount and learn to polar align (and of course have patience).post-30550-0-72249000-1445072132_thumb.j

Well I haven't used either of the scopes you mention but I have tried imaging with an un-driven mount (mostly solar and a bit of planetary) and I can tell you it is not easy. You need 3 hands! Trying to keep Jupiter in the field of view at high magnification using slow motion controls or nudging with one hand, trying to focus with another hand and  trying to manipulate a laptop to get the exposure right with......hand no# 3! I now have a Celelstron CG-4 mount with dual axis drives, what a relief. I don't even  polar align it really, just point it north and set the latitude and it still gives me several minutes without the target drifting out of the field of view.

My advise, if you want to do any kind of serious imaging, make sure you have a driven mount. I have seen some good results with a dob mind you but it ain't easy.

Skymax 127 is a f11.81 scope so it is very slow. 

Try 150PDS, larger aperture, fast, you can use a barlow if you want to capture planets, or without a barlow and use a DSLR if you want a larger field of view. It is a very flexible scope. 

do consider the FOV of your set up - astronomy tools has a web tool for calculating it. Try the combination of the scope and your camera there and see what you can fit in. 

Mia

After quite a few years in the hobby and having owned 25+ scopes my advice would be to get something that does visual observing really well and that gives you the most performance per £ spent. The Skywatcher 200P dobsonian falls very firmly into this category.

For any sort of imaging you need a driven mount, then you need to accurately polar align it, then you need dew prevention gear, electrical supplies, a laptop, filters, then you need software and time to process and tweak your images etc, etc. With a dobsonian, a dim red torch and a good star map you can get right on with the hobby and see where it takes you in due course.

I know it's tempting to try and cover all the bases with a single purchase but IMHO you will end up with something that is to some extent a compromise on everything.

This is great cos the 200p was my first choice anyway. I have seen some good stuff with the 127 mak though, and it looks like it might be a more comfortable seating experience for longer periods... Lol

I'll look into the 150pds tho defo [emoji3]

Dazzyt

Archived