Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 100D vs 1200D...or other?

After failing to get any decent pictures during the eclipse, I have decided I should bite the bullet and look at replacing my old Fuji Finepix s5500 (a fixed lens 4Mpix camera with a low res screen that can't display dark objects like stars or an eclipsed moon).

Doing a bit of research, for a budget of around £300 the Canon 100D or 1200D seem to be the ones to go for. The 100D is more expensive, but can anyone advise if it is that much better? I don't know a huge amount about DSLR photography, but one of the major differences that stood out was the ISO range.

Links:

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_slr/eos_100d/

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_slr/eos_1200d/

My scope is a Celestron NexStar 90SLT, so I know I am not going to be getting long exposures of DSOs. I'm mainly looking at doing at more scenic shots, like the moon with some forground features, star trails, contellations, attach to the scope for large lunar images etc. I love the white moon against a blue sky like was out this morning and would like a few decent shots of that. I'm also interested in wildlife so want to be able to go for very general wildlife and bird shots (so I'm not going to mod it just for astro).

Is the extra price of the 100D worth it? I know an older post on here describes the 1200D as a joke. Are either of them suitable for what I want, or is there another good alternative?

I've used both a modded 100D and an 1100D, for AP I don't think there is much to choose between them. The battery runs out more quickly when using the 100D but spares are cheap. Images are in my sig if you are interested.

I'm surprised anyone would describe the 1200D as a joke, I'm sure I've seen some good shots taken with them. Do you have a link to the post please?

My personal view is that the 100D has too many compromises for AP use although it seems to use many of the components of the 650D, the 1200D is certainly not rubbish but it is an entry level camera so will be using older processors etc.

It might be worth looking at used mid range cameras like the 550/600/650/700D although you would need to add the cost of a lens/lenses. http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/?keyword=&curr_min_price=&curr_max_price=&min_price=0&max_price=3400&out_of_stock=&view_all=&filter=price+ASC

Alan

DaveHKent, on 01 Oct 2015 - 4:45 PM, said:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/208346-canon-1100d-vs-1200d-vs-100d/

See posts 5 and 7. Makes me a little nervous about parting with that much money. I realise I am looking at the bottom end of the canon range but still want something decent.

Sounds a bit hyperbolic to me, the 1100D also uses a DIGIC 4 processor and that's a well proven astro-cam, as this recent image in the deep sky forum shows. Digic 5 may be better but dithering and kappa-sigma stacking are very effective at reducing DSLR noise. I don't think you can go wrong with any recent Canon DSLR really.

If cost is a concern have you considered buying 2nd hand?

Just a thought, why don't you go 2nd hand?  You'll get much more camera for the £££.  I've just gone with MPB Photographic, I'd ordered a 450D for £100 which on the face of it did look in very good order but it had a couple of serious issues  (a badly cleaned mirror being the worst offence), so they are picking it by courier tomorrow and I've since decided to upgrade a bit to the 600D with a very low shutter count.  They have been spot on with their emails/service so far and hopefully the replacement camera will be sent out on Monday once the 450D arrives back with them.  I think Wex Photographic also seems recommended and it seems pretty easy to pick up a decent camera with very low shutter count for the fraction of a new one.

Just a thought, why don't you go 2nd hand?  You'll get much more camera for the £££.  I've just gone with MPB Photographic, I'd ordered a 450D for £100 which on the face of it did look in very good order but it had a couple of serious issues  (a badly cleaned mirror being the worst offence), so they are picking it by courier tomorrow and I've since decided to upgrade a bit to the 600D with a very low shutter count.  They have been spot on with their emails/service so far and hopefully the replacement camera will be sent out on Monday once the 450D arrives back with them.  I think Wex Photographic also seems recommended and it seems pretty easy to pick up a decent camera with very low shutter count for the fraction of a new one.

I have bought a few lenses from MPB (almost mint condition) and its allways been great service with the knowledge that if something isnt quite right then it will be sorted.

Alan

I use an unmodded 100d for imaging and am very happy with it & of course it doubles as a normal camera when you need it. You will need a spare battery for any long imaging sessions. It's also billed as the smallest DSLR which if you are looking at trimming weight off of the total weight of your rig up is a definite plus. With a 1200 alongside a 100d the 1200 is obviously more "chunky".

Someone mentioned buying second hand. I have purchased a few 2nd hand DSLR's and have to say if you do your research you can pick up some brilliant cameras at very good prices.

Steve

I have bought a few lenses from MPB (almost mint condition) and its allways been great service with the knowledge that if something isnt quite right then it will be sorted.

Alan

That's good to know, Alan.  Many thanks!  First time I've bought from them so set my mind to ease a bit.. :)

It's not much more £££ for the 650D which has the Digic5 processor and touch screen.  Not really important for me as this camera is for astro-use only but if you want dual use, I believe the Digic5 processor is quite a bit better and faster.

That's a lovely picture Peter.

To the OP I'd go down the second hand route get more bang for your buck. I think I'd want a flip screen too when doing AP (saves grovelling on the ground). I bought a new 60D and wished I'd gone second hand and pre modded.

Regards

To the OP, if you're still thinking about 2nd hand and with MPB - I had excellent service from them after the disaster that was the 450D, the replacement 600D was absolutely immaculate.  Great condition and only a 4200 shutter count.   Would not hesitate to use MPB again.

I'm not really familier with the xxxD range. As I've been lucky enough to own a couple of the xxD range.   I bought a 30D just before the 40D came out.  The camera has been fantastic for me, but I did miss not having live view on the camera.   Last year, I purchased a 70D, The feature difference is well worth it - specifically the higher ISO might be useful - I'm going to play with that over the winter.  The Liveview is ok, but I've been without it so long that I'm kind of used to not having it.  But the killer feature for me, is the flip out screen.  This makes it much much easier to see what the camera has taken without needing to be a contortionist with the camera in place on the scope.

As for the battery life issues, there's nothing stopping you getting a battery grip, so you can have two batteries installed at the same time.  You can also power the cameras from an external power source - just need the mains adapter kit, or something similar.

I read a lot where people liked the old 1100d for AP.  I bought a used one very reasonably.  I've seen some very nice pics taken on the 1100d.  There are many other things that go into achieving success in AP i.e. polar alignment, good tracking and processing of course to name a few.  I figured that the Canon 1100d would be a great way to start without spending too much money.  

I am already looking into dedicated Astro-cameras which from what I have seen can produce even better pictures than the DSLR.  So, the in the final analysis, the DSLR may not be the best option anyway for AP.  Like I said, buying a used Canon DSLR can be a good way to get started for a couple hundred dollars.

Archived