Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's the difference between Es 24 68 degree maxvision and the Es 24 68 degree series

Zigzag79

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/253797-What's-the-difference-between-Es-24-68-degree-maxvision-and-the-Es-24-68-degree-series#entry2767935

What's the difference between Es 24 68 degree maxvision and the Es 24 68 degree series

Hi had some excellent advice on eyepieces but wanted to know if there is any difference in terms of performance between the two as both priced the same thanks Ryan

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically the Maxvision 24mm 68 degree is from a cancelled order Meade had with JOC a Chinese company. Meade had a range of these eyepieces from 16mm to 40mm, there were 6 in total and they were called SWA or Super Wide Angle.

When these came out I bought a full set and that was over 1000 pounds, so not exactly cheap. I think I am right in saying the 24mm ExSc came along after the Meade but is basically the same eyepiece, there is a possibility the coatings are different but I personally do not believe you will tell them apart, there's also no telling if one is any better than the other.

Which ever you buy you are getting the same glass elements. Just beware the Max Vision may not, and I stress may not, be to the same standard as the Meade, though I am not aware of any poor examples that have been pushed through, there's always a chance when clearing the decks.. 

Alan

I have four 68° MaxVisions (20 through 34 mm). Nothing sub-standard about them. Very good value. Paid € 69 ... € 119 for them.

Eye relief increases with focal length. The 16 mm has too little of it to my taste.

As far as I can see its the argon gas in the series ones that's the only difference. So will probably go for that one. Thanks

The gas filling makes no difference at all. Tele Vue and Pentax use air and they seem to do alright :wink:

optically no difference at all between those two, as Allan correctly stated, maxivisions are the cancelled contract of Meade 5000 series SWA`s,as such i am fairly confident to say that optics,lens configuration are exactly the same in both.This gas filling or purging i think doesnt do anything in my opinion.I had both on testing in single mode and in binoviewer and to be honest i couldnt see any difference.Maybe under ideal conditions there might be some,but not under UK skies.

Only apparent difference between them is the body.ES 68 is more compact and traditional built and suits binoviewer better,where MV is more chunky and has a twist up body what is not every ones cup of tee.Still in slower scopes like F6 and slower both will perform great.In faster scopes like traditional F4.7 10" dob you will get a slight distortion on edges what is not really off putting.

Still i would recommend them as a step up from supplied plossls,BST`s and similar range of Ep`s.Well worth the money,specially if you are not planning to shell out a lot of cash for premium glass. 

Optically both are the same (I have a mix). I'd agree the 16mm MV is the weak one. Also agree that the Argon (previously Nitrogen) purging seems a gimmick of dubious worth.

The main difference is the build type. The MVs have rotating eyecups which some people like, and more rubber around the body.

The ES range are a more traditional design, similar to TV, with fixed eyecup, but with rubber eyeguards which can fold down. I prefer the latter myself, they seem more solid, and at the new lower ES prices I think they are great value.

Both ranges perform very well especially at F7 or slower.

Dave

Just ordered the Es 24 argon filled series one will be here tomorrow. The maxvision was on back order and tbh I couldn't wait very curious to see how much difference there is between the standard skywatcher Ep's which came with the scope and this one...!

Hi Zigzag.

I don't think the Maxvision version is made any more, they were a one-off order I believe. I prefer the ES version as per my post and I think you will be pleased with it.

I don't use short reflectors such as the one you mention, but others have said that the image goes soft towards the edge. But to be honest, at this price, I don't think you could do much better without going up to seriously more expensive EPs such as Tele Vue Naglers etc. I'm sure someone else will chip in though if they know otherwise.

Good luck with your new eyepiece, I am sure it will be far better than the standard ones supplied with your scope.. :laugh:

Dave

These Maxvisions are the last run of the former Meade SWA series 5000 eyepieces.

JOC made them for Meade, before the two fell out. Meade was not happy with JOC setting up a new competitor in the form of Explore Scientific. Meade cancelled  their last order of SWAs and UWAs and JOC got stuck with the eyepieces. Only the Meade logo has been replaced by the Maxvision one. 

First Meade started dumping their SWAs in the USA. Then JOC started dumping its supply of them in Europe, through places like Explore Scientific and quite a few others.

Meade now has its eyepieces made by Kunming United Optics. Especially the 5.5 mm 82° is a big success.

Chris,

That's a really interesting perspective from an ex Meade senior employee, fascinating and thanks for posting :laugh: .

I must say it made me think twice about the gas purging, which I felt to be honest was a bit of a gimmick. When you read his view, however, and bearing in mind that the USA is a massive (the largest in the world?) market for any eyepiece manufacturer, the ability to offer a "dust free" eyepiece, (a feature of the gas purging in addition to waterfproofing) often likely to be used in hot, dry states such as Arizona, Nevada, California etc etc is a real one. And, realistically, the needs of the USA market, like it or not, are at the centre of consideration for manufacturers - it's a "volume" game, and it's only because of the volumes that can be sold that prices can be so incredibly low compared to how they were just 10-15 years ago - with very high quality.

Also, the heavy dewing that we do sometimes get here in the UK also means that eyepieces with gas purging should have better protection from moisture ingress.

I think the most interesting feature of the article though was the attention to detail of the ES brand under JOC ownership: here I think they have taken a lesson from Tele Vue and their fastidious attention to detail. It can be no coincidence that the ES line is much more like TV to look at and hold than the older Meade Maxvision range - imitation being the most sincere form of flattery. And features such as the tapered barrel, with no wretched undercut, and use of fixed eyecups with natural rubber guards to improve viewing comfort, are also very welcome.

I now have 3 ES eyepieces, the 6.7mm 82, the 24mm 68 and the 34mm 68 and can attest to their great build and optical quality.

I also have the 20mm Maxvision 68 which I also like - but further additions to the range will be the ES versions, to ensure consistency and par focal-ness as far as possible. :p

Thanks again for posting the review Chris.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Am torn between the TV Panoptic 24 against the ES version, hoping to look at both at the UK Astro Show this Saturday. If I go for the ES 24, the spare ££ will be put to the 8mm 82 degree ES. But if the TV is so much better then just the 24 for now. Looks like a small margin between the two makes for the 24mm.

Chris

Well I guess it all comes down to opinion but I have had 3 examples of the 24mm Meade 5000 SWA here in my scopes and I would not say the  TV Panoptic edged it. The SWA shows astigamatism over a fair amount of the outer FOV that the TV does not, that was in a F 5.26 scope, the outer field looks like lots of little seagulls. Whilst it is by no means a bad eyepiece and a very good one for the outlay, I for one do not consider it in the same class as the TeleVue and lets face it for the cost it should be better and is!

Tighter on ER but the 16mm SWA performed well against Televues.

After I received my 18 inch  F 4.3 Dob and tried it in that without a paracorr,  there are clear differences that I feel even a newcomer would see.

I just wish Televues were a bit less to buy :eek: .

Alan

BillP did a shootout of 24-26 mm eyepieces including Panoptic, ES 68° and Meade SWA (undressed).

It is very detailed and informative and may help you in your decision.]

Thank you Ruud, I've read it twice now, and I don't think that there's a clear winner - my scope is an f 7.5 frac, the current e/p's are Televue plossls, I'll see them in the flesh on Saturday and decide.

Chris

... I'll see them in the flesh on Saturday ...

Nice! The feel of an eyepiece matters too and you'll have a chance to test the eye relief and inspect the field stop as well.

I hope you'll find one to your liking.

BillP did a shootout of 24-26 mm eyepieces including Panoptic, ES 68° and Meade SWA (undressed).

It is very detailed and informative and may help you in your decision.]

Thank you Ruud, I've read it twice now, and I don't think that there's a clear winner - my scope is an f 7.5 frac, the current e/p's are Televue plossls, I'll see them in the flesh on Saturday and decide.

Chris

Hi Chris,

If you are at the show and can view both eyepieces then your decision will be made more on cosmetics and build rather than optics. As you currently use TV plossls, I think you will find the ES Argon purged more to your liking as they do look and feel quite like Tele Vue eyepieces.

Either version should work well in your F7.5 scope and bearing in mind their 68 or 82 degree fields versus your TV Plossls 50-52 degrees, they will show a significantly larger field of view, so that even if not the whole field is razor sharp, you will almost certainly have a "sharp field" well in excess of the 52 or so degrees offered by the TV plossls.

Good luck in your hunt and let us know what you decide :laugh:

Dave

Having looked closely, I purchased a Televue, not at the cheapest price, but from Green-Witch. They were a little more expensive, but a year ago they supported an event at our Astro Society, so happy to spend a few ££'s more to support the good guys.

Pockets a little more empty but I know you made the right choice. I had mine in the Dob last night without Paracorr and it was still superb, it's only when you go wider field that coma becomes annoying but it was there at the extremes.

Alan

Archived