Sundogs and the likes

afternoon sky was crazy this afternoon with at least one sundog and many many (5-6) that were more rainbow shaped (see pics) can anyone shed some light on what the rainbow ones are called? I'm off to google for a look :)

Oh, I suppose I best give credit where it's due... these were taken by my wife :)

post-20406-0-82022900-1443461534_thumb.j

post-20406-0-91434800-1443461420_thumb.j

post-20406-0-66465800-1443461626_thumb.j

thanks for looking

afternoon sky was crazy this afternoon with at least one sundog and many many (5-6) that were more rainbow shaped (see pics) can anyone shed some light on what the rainbow ones are called? I'm off to google for a look :)

Oh, I suppose I best give credit where it's due... these were taken by my wife :)

attachicon.gif100_4572 copy.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4563.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4601.jpg

thanks for looking

I saw the same Scott, which makes sense as we're not too far from one another. I've posted a few pics up in the photography section http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/253801-cloud-iridescence/

I believe it's called cloud iridescence.

Nice images :-)

Curiously, in my cherished and read Observer's Book of Weather, the author (ex forces Met officer) stated that such optical phenomena were very rare and that he'd only seen halos and parhelia while in the Antarctic regions.  Was he a poor observer, or have atmospheric/weather conditions actually changed dramatically since the 1950s?

Archived