Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Triangulum Galaxy (M33)

Davide Simonetti

This is the first attempt for me on this target and it's a tricky one from London. Hardly anything at all showed on the subs so I was surprised at how much detail was hiding in there.

post-33955-0-25663500-1443256710_thumb.j

10 x 8 minute exposures at 400 ISO
 7 x dark frames
11 x flat frames
21 x bias/offset frames (subtracted from flat frames only)
Guided with PHD
Processed in Nebulosity and Photoshop
Equipment
Celestron NexStar 127 SLT
GoTo AltAz mount with homemade wedge
Orion 50mm Mini Guide Scope

M33 is one of my biggest challenges. The weather always seems wrong when I want to capture it like a clear sky but a full moon or no moon & a cloudy sky or a clear sky but misty transparency- the list just goes on to thwart me but I will get it nailed one day.

Your target is big but quite spread out so the image is always very faint on the subs so it needs many more subs & often exposures which push you into decisions about light pollution vs image depth. A light pollution filter will help- I use a Hutech IDAS very good filter.

However it's good to get a start & you have a good one and you can easily work that into a very good image given time & good weather.

Archived