Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy photo of the year

FenlandPaul

A lovely collection to browse at breakfast today, folks:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34256496

Now clearly these are all amazing photographs. But what I feel completely spoiled and priviliged by is the skill and creativity of the imagers here on SGL; we get to see pictures like this every day because of the talent on this forum and their generosity in sharing their hard work. Thank you.

Paul

There are some wonderful images there.  I love the comet and Heart Nebula.

James

That's pretty special, isn't it?  Something about the perspective - I think that's why I like the ISS and moon shot too.

They both remind me of the Father Ted "big cow nearby, small cow far away" scene.....

That's pretty special, isn't it?  Something about the perspective - I think that's why I like the ISS and moon shot too.

They both remind me of the Father Ted "big cow nearby, small cow far away" scene.....

Yes, the ISS/Moon image is definitely one of my favourites there.

James

Thanks soot hope you had a good night out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it was very good although I seemed a little out of my depth with the quality of work on show , looked amazing in the gallery can only imagine what it looks like full size

There are some wonderful images there.  I love the comet and Heart Nebula.

James

That one caught my eye as well. As an imager I guess I have an eye on what is difficult to do and I would pause before attempting to take that one on! It's a truly splendid image.

Olly

That one caught my eye as well. As an imager I guess I have an eye on what is difficult to do and I would pause before attempting to take that one on! It's a truly splendid image.

Olly

Well I hope the person who took the picture reads this, Olly, because coming from someone whose images are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen that's a real endorsement!

Paul

Yes a truly incredible array of images. What really amazes me is when i see incredible images taken in the frozen landscapes of Norway or Russia or somewhere. Having sat questioning my sanity on the Isle of Sheppey in mid winter i cant even imagine the dedication required to sit mid winter on the edge of the arctic.

Pictures like these always amaze me.  You guys have such skill, patience and dedication!   :)

I don't know how patient I am! I'm perpetually twitching to see the next half hour sub come in and working on Tom's 33 panel mosaic took ten years off my life. Which could be seriously bad news at 62... Heheh.

:grin: lly

Archived