Nebulas to Moon is a bit different, I've imaged the Moon ok on a normal tripod, a good bit of kit which I have is the Skywatcher Star Adventurer, good for DSLR imaging with a small scope or camera lenses.

Dave

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/skywatcher-star-adventurer-astronomy-bundle.html

The moon and nebulas generally need different kit! If you've not already done so, get hold of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the FLO website in the book section. Read it once, twice and thrice ............... then think about what you need and why ............ then you are ready to spend some money!

Imaging is all about the mount - You need to build a system from the ground up and so need a really good mount so that you can get the long exposures that are beneficial to deep sky imaging. 

Take a look in the imaging section - People generally say what they use kit wise. Have a look at the types of images you want to achieve and that will be a good starting point. The moon can be done as a complete view with nothing more than a bean bag (to give stability) and a DSLR. Deep sky stuff is a little more tricky.

There's a few decisions to be made with regards to budget and type of scope you may want ........... a bit of research to be done yet :)

Yes, solar system imaging is best done with fast frame (video) cameras and once you have a video captured you (and some free software) find the best ones and combine them to give a good 'still' result.

Nebulae are captured with long exposures (many of mine use 30 minute exposures combined together) and this needs a sophisticated mount and tracking system.

Two entirely different technologies and skill sets.

Start with Steve's book. He knows his onions.

Olly

My first attempts (and with enough success to keep me going) was attaching a DSLR piggy back to the scope on an eq driven mount. The wide field and ease of focus makes life easier when starting out..

Fully endorse getting a copy of "Making Every Photon Count" By Steve Richards, it will show you the way.

Archived