NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The ups and downs in one observing night!

Ccolvin968

Last night was perfect observing weather. Transparency was above average and the seeing was great. I could tell even five minutes after being in the dark. I could easily see mag 5 stars and my usual during the summer is only around mag 3.8-4.2. I got my 10" Dob all set up and was ready to roll for the entire evening. I got maybe 45 mins into my session observing the Ring Nebula, Albireo, Mizar and Alcor, and I accidentally stumbled upon the Phantom Streak Nebula. Keep in mind it wasn't entirely dark and it took me a few glances and using averted vision, I could make out the general shape. the size was also correct. No detail was seen and it literally looked like a streak and not a planetary nebula of any kind that I've seen. No sooner does my 7 month old start screaming and my wife texts me to come inside. She didn't stop screaming. Finally I gave up and decided to pack it in for the night. Little did I know, my night was far from over. Both observing and parenting wise. We all finally got to sleep, only to wake up what felt like 20 mins later but was actually three hours to another round of screaming. I fed her a bottle and she went back to sleep. I just happened to glance outside after I put her down... I rubbed my eyes a few times to make sure I wasn't seeing things... then a few more... It's an aurora!! I ran down and grabbed my camera and set it up. I got about an hour and a half of exposures for a 30 second time lapse video. While I was out there I was also got amazingly lucky that the a-Aurigids and September Perseids decided to put on a show at the same time. In the short time I was out there, I saw 12 meteors total. Judging by speed and origin, I'd call it two a-Aurigids and ten September Perseids. I saw at least two very persistent trails. They were mostly white or light blue, but there was a really cool green one with a bluish trail. Overall, it turned out to be a great night. An Aurora, an hour on a 10" Dob, and two different meteor showers at the same time. I'd have liked more time on the scope for such a clear night all night... But hey, I cant complain. I never thought I'd be so grateful for a baby to wake me up screaming... She was looking out for me this time I guess... :) Clear skies my friends.

Nice report, best I've seen when woken by a hungry baby at that time, is a motorbike in fire outside my house. A bit like some kind of bizarre orange aurora I suppose.

I've also had a few meteors in my lady could of nights of viewing, great seeing them shoot through the eyepiece when scouting around

Great story and as a parent I can relate to your position, I can remember as clear as anything the first time my son viewed Saturn though my scope as a young boy. He's now mid teens and refuses to have anything to do with astronomy. One day he might grow to like it again.

You have all these moments to look forward to - enjoy every minute.

Archived