Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cemlyn aurora timelapse 07/09/15

Another stunner Kev. It's a pretty much perfect location ...

Very nice.

I wish I could get the hang of time lapses.

Mine end up all jumpy and jerky.

Keep up the good work.

Kev's the master ... 

When I dabbled in them a few years ago one of the things I found is having enough frames to keep the frame rate up  so lots of shorter exposures at higher ISO worked better than fewer longer subs at lower ISO ...  I would try and aim for a minimum of  10-15 fps in the final image...

Peter...

Another stunner Kev. It's a pretty much perfect location ...

Kev's the master ... 

When I dabbled in them a few years ago one of the things I found is having enough frames to keep the frame rate up  so lots of shorter exposures at higher ISO worked better than fewer longer subs at lower ISO ...  I would try and aim for a minimum of  10-15 fps in the final image...

Peter...

as Pete said high iso and lots of 15-20 seconds exposures usually works but I do output all my videos at 24fps

Kev

The last one I did was of the beach with the tide coming in and done at 24fps but still jerky.

Anyway, this is your post so I will start another one if I still have problems.

In that case I would "guess" that the individual exposures were too long... The FL that you shooting at comes into it a bit as well...

Peter...

The last one I did was of the beach with the tide coming in and done at 24fps but still jerky.

Anyway, this is your post so I will start another one if I still have problems.

Good a place as any to talk about it :) For daylight timelapse with relatively fast moving subjects most people use too fast a shutter speed. Ideally you should be looking for 0.5-1 second exposures with 2-3 second gaps. The longer exposures will contain slight subject movement which helps them blend together in post production. If the shutter speed is too fast then you end up with very sharp images which don't blend together nicely.

Oh, think thats where I went wrong.

Very fast shutter speed because of the how bright it was and it was only a 1 second gap.

I will have to check the details of the exif data when I get home.

Normally you would use a strong ND filter to slow down the shutter speed

Archived