Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Typical!

Alkaid

So I fitted some nice new motor drives to my mount ready for the coming season of darker nights, ready for lunar and planetary obs....only to visit some astro software which kindly informed me that there will be no planets conveniently visible until about February.....how irritating!

So then I checked Lunar positions, as I'm also a fan of that....and it's still rather low in the sky until about Nov...which means poor, turbulent viewing for another few months...arrgggh!

Looks like I'm going to be driving out of Leeds an awful lot to continue with the Messiers for a while.  :rolleyes:

It's certainly not the greatest time for solar system observing from the northern hemisphere at the moment, though there is the possibility of "all the planets in one night" soon.  I'd like to give that a go myself, but me and mornings never have seen quite eye to eye.

James

What about Neptune, Uranus, it's just past last quarter moon (one of the best views of the moon at this phase IMHO), Saturn still visible in the west after sunset....

On the other hand there's nothing wrong with Messiers... Look at it as a excuse to go to a dark site... Niiiiiice...

Yep, nothing wrong with the Messiers...I had much fun at a dark site in Scotland recently.  For me though, its just the extra bit of hassle having to drive.....a very long way out of the city glare...moan moan moan... :grin:

So I fitted some nice new motor drives to my mount ready for the coming season of darker nights, ready for lunar and planetary obs....only to visit some astro software which kindly informed me that there will be no planets conveniently visible until about February.....how irritating!

So then I checked Lunar positions, as I'm also a fan of that....and it's still rather low in the sky until about Nov...which means poor, turbulent viewing for another few months...arrgggh!

Looks like I'm going to be driving out of Leeds an awful lot to continue with the Messiers for a while. :rolleyes:

Neptune is nicely placed and visible South East through the Harrogate glare.

Archived