SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Fenland Observatory

JohnC64

Maybe one thought. Steel will suffer at times from condensation. It is the internal condensation that may be the problem inside the pillar. It will cause rust and also slowly fill with water if there is no exit hole for the condensation to escape. It won't have the time and/or heat energy to evaporate during the winter. You don't want condensation to escape down into your wiring. So before you set the pillar in place get the inside painted as best as possible. Just thin some Hammerite and pour in then roll about to coat the inside. Messy but worth while. Make sure a couple of small exit holes are at the bottom just above the base plate. I have many found examples of internal corrosion caused by dampness  when at sea as an engineer many moons ago. It is also why all cars are now dipped in primer coats of paint, so as to coat internal surfaces not accessible from normal spraying ( to prevent premature  internal rust through).

Derek

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or fill the entire tube with expanding foam once your cables (plus spares) are in. Expensive but worth it.

OK if you never have to change out a cable, but a nightmare if you do need to do that. Also again if you need to add new cabling!

Derek

Long term i would go up the outside of the pier with the cables, i have in the passed had to change cables and the easy way is chop the ends off and pull them though, the replacement isn't so easy so electrical trunking up the outside with the snap on cover will be a better way and its tidy and very accessible, one other thing spray  both ends and the PC back plate, in fact every thing that's a plug or socket with this stuff, my PC hasn't played up for 2 winters now,,,,,,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006ZP7S5E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the feedback.

Rather then paint the pier myself, I have taken the pier to a local car bodyshop.  They will do a much better job of painting the pier than me and are able to spray wax oil into the pier to prevent rusting.

I will post pictures when it comes back 

Cheers John

Couldn't resist tonight  :icon_biggrin: Its a bit of temporary wiring job  but having a pier has made a big difference over using the tripod

Single sub Ha 10 mins with a quick stretch.  Guess who's a happy bunny???

John 

Posted from the obsy via the wifi!!

post-12165-0-16805900-1452899838_thumb.p

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a while but i have managed to find some time to get into the obsy again.  I have boarded out the warm room now and have the main door secured with locks, handle fitted etc.  Here are a couple of picture of the pier fitted and from outside.  I am waiting for better weather before painting the outside completely,  I want to make sure that everything is dried out before sealing it..  Its treated wood so it won't hurt to wait for a month.  

Next immediate tasks are to fit the internal sliding door and sort out the electrics in the warm room.

John

29-roofonparked.thumb.jpg.f5cdb00cd25c13

30-roofoff.jpg.ab40dd31d9af3712ed986c7b7

31-roofoffparked.jpg.a179e7906a8add29000

56acdb098ae76_32roofoff2.jpg.ca8707fa4cb

33-roofoff1.jpg.706527da287124b6de2cff68

You probably have thought of it but I would suggest a sealing strip around the fold down flap to stop the rain driving in. I did it with a fold down window shutter on my hut nearly 30 years ago and it worked mostly. Can't complain for a thirty year job :)

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Archived