Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Fenland Observatory

JohnC64

Hi NigeB,

Yes i was going to run some of the log lap boards through a thicknesser to get a 1/2 inch board with the same rounded edges that you see on the log lap.  I was going to cover the end grains and the intersections where the boards meet.  It prevents damp getting in the wood and hides any imperfections in the boarding.

Cheers John

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's coming along very nicely, your flap at the end i think i would use parliment hinges stainless steel type and stick a couple of rubber buffers along where the top when opened hangs under the opening, just to save the wood clashing together....

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/hinges/parliament_hinges

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/cabinet_furniture_and_hardware/legs_feet_and_castors/1636/rubber_seat_buffer/506511

That's coming along very nicely, your flap at the end i think i would use parliment hinges stainless steel type and stick a couple of rubber buffers along where the top when opened hangs under the opening, just to save the wood clashing together....

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/hinges/parliament_hinges

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/cabinet_furniture_and_hardware/legs_feet_and_castors/1636/rubber_seat_buffer/506511

Hi Tinker1947

Thats exactly what will sort my issue out.  

Many thanks

John.

Oooh they have an online catalogue - now what else do i 'need' ;-) 

Looking great & quick progress too! You'll be set up & using it in no time by the looks of your pics. Looking forward to your next update & pics of the rolling roof... :)

hmmmm  the weather seems to want me to slow down :-(  Luckily everything is lashed down under a tarpaulin at the moment

John

hmmmm  the weather seems to want me to slow down :-(  Luckily everything is lashed down under a tarpaulin at the moment

John

John, I feel your pain my friend!  :clouds2:

Today's the 1'st day in a solid week it hasn't rained so after a few days for things to dry out, I hope to get back to work on mine this weekend...  :smiley:

post-37916-0-64018200-1444086482_thumb.j

Hi All,

A bit more progress this weekend.  I now have the rolling roof installed and the joists in place.  I am very impressed with the FHBrundle wheels and track.  I can move the roof with one finger and it just glides.  They also give a nice low profile (about an inch)  so there isn't a big gap to cover up at the side

I must admit that I had a very big smile on my face when I tested the rolling roof for the first time.

I have used a roof angle of 14 ˚  as it gives a lower roof so that views in the north are not impeded.  Also it gives a joist diagonal of 1.2m  so I can maximise the  usage of 3.6m  lengths of timber.  In addition, the marine ply for the roof, comes in widths of 1.2m.  So the theory is  that it should just fit and I will reduce my cutting.  The missing joist on the roof is on the 2.4 m boundary, I will fit this when I measure up the ply and calculate the overhang at the end so it allows me to secure the ply sheets properly and marry up with the log lap on the end roof section

Phew time for a beer

John

And a couple of pictures

post-12165-0-84116100-1444588511_thumb.j

post-12165-0-00640300-1444588524_thumb.j

Securing the roof so the wind does put in next doors garden is quiet simple i used Coach screws on the end that goes out on the runners one in each corner, and another pier on the inside so as it shuts they go into holes on the frame, drill out the holes so 12mm copper pipe can be knocked in and use 10mm coach screws, a couple of toggle clamps will stop it moving when closed...my Obby roof has this arrangement its not a core like going round unstrapping belts or removing swivel hooks ect, 

do the reverse for the inside....

DSC_9875.jpg

DSC_9871.jpg

That looks very effective Tinker1947.  Its one of those ideas that make you go 'of course'.  I have some turnbuckles for the corners at the moment - but I can immediately see how your solution is a much better option.  I can feel some mods coming on already - and I haven't finished yet :-)

Many thanks

John

This is a really attractive observatory. Lovely autumn colours around there, too.

Olly

Many thanks Olly,  I wanted something that looks like a summer house rather than an obsy  so that at first glance, it looks nothing out of the ordinary.

Cheers John

Hi John - Your obsy looks really nice & appears to be nearly complete. I'm not as far along but am framing walls this weekend so getting there.

I wanted to ask how high you built your walls from floor surface to the very top. I framed the first wall yesterday & it's 73 inches (6 ft. 1 inch) not counting the rail for the rollers - which I gather from one of your earlier posts adds about another inch. I set up my 8" SCT last night trying to get an idea how low I'll be able too see. As far as I can tell, 20 degrees will be as low on the horizon as I can go before the walls begin to obstruct the view.

Anyway, just wondered about the height of your walls & if you've got an idea how low on the horizon you'll be able to see before the walls begin to block the view?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Scorpius,

Your measurements sound very similar to mine.  My stud work walls are 73.5ins high and i have a further 2ins on top for my rail to mount the rails and runners on.  On the south side I have the drop down flap which is 16inches to give me a better view in that direction.  I mostly do imaging  and imaging down at the 20degree is peering through a lot of atmosphere and tends not to give the best from my equipment.

The 73.5 inches is because I adjusted the height of the walls so that it matched a full number of  widths of my cladding.  Although saying that i have about 1/2inch lip at the top due to the boards being varying sizes and fitting slightly more than the original measurement.  (I was trying to avoid cutting boards so that it made the best use of the timber)

I am hoping to raise the telescope on the pier as high as possible.  I am having this made by a local engineering firm so  and i will raise up the scope as far as possible to get reasonable views.

I'm unable to work on the obsy build  this weekend due to other commitments but look forward to seeing your walls. 

Cheers John

John, thanks for the info & sounds like my walls are about right then. Main reason I made them as high is so I can walk through the door without bumping my noggin ☺

Don't have a drop down panel in mine but think I'll be able to see down to 20 degrees all around which is - like you say - too low for imaging anyway...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well after getting some work commitments out of the way, I have finally taken the observatory out from under the tarpaulin and have continued with the build.  

I have put plywood boards over the roof joists and fixed them down and have put boards down the side of the roof edges to cover the gaps where the rollers and tracks meet. 

I then covered the joints with flashing tape and painted over the entire surface with Bituminous adhesive.  Its very horrible stuff to work with but it will seal the ply-board from the elements.  I let the first coat of bituminous adhesive dry and then applied a second coat to fix the felt down.  I went for standard  green/grey roofing felt in the end.  Prior to fitting the felt, I  fitted the remaining boards to the apex sections of the roof.  and then put a finishing  board over the top after everything was finished.

I have refitted the fold down observing flap, and replaced one of the boards that split when nailing it. It still needs a bit of fettling to get it perfect but I will do that when i fit the door.

As we are having a windy spell at the moment, I have fitted the the turnbuckles  so i know that the roof is not going anywhere.

I have the door to finish and fit and then the structure is sealed and I can start on the inside.

My list  of remaining tasks  is 

Finish off the painting

Finish door

Construct concrete pads for the supporting uprights and fit them

Board out the interior wall and fit sliding door

Build a small desk in the warm room

Electrics and lighting

Fit Pier

Not as many photos of the intermediate stages - as I was trying to finish before the weather closed in.

Cheers John

P.S.  Oh yes remove bricks from roof needs to go on the list :-D

post-12165-0-89984000-1447600028_thumb.j

post-12165-0-57283800-1447600064_thumb.j

post-12165-0-40428800-1447600076_thumb.j

post-12165-0-39125900-1447600194_thumb.j

Hi Tinker,

I've fitted those Parliament hinges that you recommended and they were spot on and just what was required. Many thanks for the info

Just realised that I need to add 'Fix Guttering' and 'Build paths'   to my list of tasks.   Whats the expression 'I'm 90% complete - Just the other 90% to do!!'  Yes the sounds about right  :grin:

John

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Well my pier has arrived   :grin:  :grin:  I had it made by a local small engineering firm (SDK Engineering in Pymore)  from my very poor drawings.  David at SDK sat down with me and we talked through various options and he made some suggestions to improve the design.  So if you are in the Ely / North Cambs area, and you are looking for a pier you may well want to get in touch with them. IM me and I will send details if you can't find them.  They have a fantastic hole punching machine that can punch holes through thick  steel plate.  Great to see a piece of heavy engineering tool working - it makes a big bang  :smiley:

The pier itself is 1.2m high and has an 8" plate on the top and a 10" base plate.  The plate is 10mm thick top and bottom and the steel tube is 6mm thick.  This is definitely not going anywhere once i get it bolted down in the obsy.  There is an owl hole in the side so i have access to the bolts to fix the mount down. (Oops mixing my metric and imperial again !!)

I need to get the Hammerite out and give it a coat of paint.  I will probably go for the traditional matt black finish

Cheers John

Heres a couple of pics

post-12165-0-60109100-1451146180_thumb.j

post-12165-0-56613600-1451146193_thumb.j

Hi Michael,

I have a hole in the base plate that the wiring is going to come straight out of the ducting through and I will bring them out through the owl hole.  I have a second hand HitecAstro mount hub that I am going to mount just below the Owl hole and run a wiring loom to the scope and cameras from there.  So hopefully it should be nice and tidy.

Cheers John

Hi Michael,

I have a hole in the base plate that the wiring is going to come straight out of the ducting through and I will bring them out through the owl hole.  I have a second hand HitecAstro mount hub that I am going to mount just below the Owl hole and run a wiring loom to the scope and cameras from there.  So hopefully it should be nice and tidy.

Cheers John

Even better , you've thought of everything.

Michael

Archived