SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hanging Around Coma Berenices

Sam

Seeing some of the great pictures of Needle, Hockey Stick and Whale galaxies I thought I would have a look through the big dob and try and locate them.

First cab off the rank was NGC4565 (Needle Galaxy, UFO) very bright and quite a distinctive galaxy. The central bulge was very clear as was a dust land running along the length of the galaxy. The surprising thing was how long this galaxy appeared. A little distance from the Needle was NGC4725 which had a very bright core and a hint of spiral arms that seemed quite tight around the centre.

Next two were the Whale and it's buddy the hockey stick. NGC4631 was quite an easy target and the whale shape being quite obvious. There was even some detail coming out of the Whale's head - blobby bright bits. The hockey stick wasn't as bright but the bend stood out quite easily - further up the "handle" was quite a bright area.

The next one was a bright edge on galaxy, NGC4244. The core was just a little brighter than the rest but overall fairly uniform across it's length.

I decided to finish off quite a neat observing session with another look at M51. The bridge between the two galaxies is just visible (To answer Carol's question from my other post yesterday). The spiral arms are very clear and the brighter lumpy bits in the arms also stand out quite well. The next stop was M101 which I remember from the 8" being quite hard to see. That was not the case with the 16" the galaxy is very well defined with the spiral arms being evident - not as bright and defined as M51 but still very impressive.

I remember reading on SGL a while ago about splitting Mizar's double so I thought I would give that a go. Very easily separated in the 25mm eyepiece. Also tonight were a couple of stops at M3 and M53 - globs are great!

This observing session was a bit different from previous ones as I planned what to look at and concentrated on just one area of the sky - I also took notes as I went - this is very organised for me! :angry:

cheers

Sam

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh. how I envy you Sam, I just love large aperture scopes for the very reasons you have just described in your post. Given the good skies these buckets need, there is not much that is not within reach. You must have see M13, although most globulars are going to be resolved into diamond splendours with the big 16. The Messier entourage are going to be a doddle for you, if indeed it is your intention to target them all.

Anyway, I will be happy to read any further accounts from your sessions with the big feller. I am not sure how many 16" Dobs are with SGL members. I only know of You and Bernie, but perhaps there are others.

Ron. :angry:

Thanks Ron, :angry: It's certainly a step up from my 8" scope and I can now see the views of the 10-11 magnitude objects which were just a bit beyond my other scope. The view through the eyepiece is, in some cases, quite similar to the images posted (without the vibrant colour of course).

cheers

Sam

The bridge between the two galaxies is just visible (To answer Carol's question from my other post yesterday).

Thanks Sam! Several years ago someone with a 14" SCT 'nearly' saw the bridge, and ever since then I've been wondering what it would take to actually detect it.

Excellent descriptions of your targets, btw.. thanks for sharing your eyepiece with us. :angry:

The bridge between the two galaxies is just visible (To answer Carol's question from my other post yesterday).

Thanks Sam! Several years ago someone with a 14" SCT 'nearly' saw the bridge, and ever since then I've been wondering what it would take to actually detect it.

Excellent descriptions of your targets, btw.. thanks for sharing your eyepiece with us. :angry:

Carol,

M51 looked brilliant last night. Looking directly at the two galaxies only gave the mildest hint of a connection between them but with averted version the bridge was quite evident - though very faint. I reckon Astroman's 20" would resolve it quite clearly.

Sam

Sam

You were on two of my fav galaxies NGC 4565 (the big scope really brings in the dust lane running its length) and Whale.

To answers Ron's question my scope is a Beaconhill Telescopes 16 inch f5 on a fork mount with RA drive.

Scotastro

Scotastro,

Yeah those two are quite interesting galaxies - the whale is quite interesting how it's shape is all distorted (from the hockey stick proximity?) and the NGC 4565 is surprising at how long it is - I wonder how Mr Messier never spotted it as it's quite bright.

Super report Sam. You gotta love NGC4565. I saw it in a huge old 10" scope at Kielder (wish I saw it in the daytime as it seemed like a very interesting article) and it was just fantastic - almost like the pics :shock: ). I find it hard to believe it was only a 10" because it was so bright and clear, with that central bulge and dust lanes as clear as crystal. Of course, the excellent transparency probably helped a lot! That view stole the SGL3 view of M51 from first place.

Carol, at SGL 3 we saw the bridge clearly in a 12" scope (SW300P), under pretty dark skies, and I could just about see it in my 8" the other night, but it was not obvious even with averted vision.

Thanks for that interesting report Sam. The only trouble is you are giving me a dose of aperture fever :angry:

Tell me about it!! Suddenly I started contemplating how much the SW Flextube will cost if/when it comes out.

Andrew

Wow Andrew, the transparency must have been incredible... I wish the atmosphere here was a lot cleaner. A bigger scope would certainly help me out, though.. maybe something like this. :shock:

That's one massive scope! By the looks of it there's a 6" being used as the finder scope!

Wow Andrew, the transparency must have been incredible...

It was pretty good - the Milky Way was visible, but it wasn't the best - we were all quiite gobsmacked by the view

That's one massive scope! By the looks of it there's a 6" being used as the finder scope!

Compare the finder to the size of him - that must be an 8" :shock:

Andrew

Andrew

The view through the eyepiece is, in some cases, quite similar to the images posted (without the vibrant colour of course).

cheers

Sam

Wow! That must be incredible. :angry: Love to have a peep through the EP...

A bigger scope would certainly help me out, though.. maybe something like this. :shock:

You'd have to keep well away from the whisky during a session with that beast! Don't fancy wobbling around up the ladder in pitch darkness. :shock: I have enough problems on the patio... :(

Thanks Sam for an enjoyable explanation of the view through a 16" of NGC 4631 and 4656

I have now virtually completed the Messier list except for a few in Sagittarius so I have started to look at the Caldwell list and the Hidden Treasurers of Steve O'Meare. I understand that the 'Whale' is Caldwell 32 and the 'Hockey Stick' is Hidden Treasure 67.

Despite what is said in the books about visability what is the smallest aperature that has seen these objects? I live in Herefordshire which has reasonable dark skies and use a 5" SCT and a 4" ED refractor. Any opinion on whether these two objects will be visible through one or either of these scopes.

Mark

Mark,

I'll have a look through the 8" next time it's clear and see what that's like. I can compare the two with M101 though. Through the 8" M101 was barely visible and only with averted vision could I make out a general fuzziness in the area. With the 16" the fuzziness was resolved into a distinct spiral structure with little blobs of lightness along them. The quite open nature of M101's spirals were quite clear. Based on this I would suspect that me 8" scope would have a hard time seeing the Hockey Stick at all given is was quite faint in the 16" and the whale might be quite tricky as well.

cheers

Sam

Nice report Lb. I've got loads of questions to ask you about the 16" but I dare'nt. The desire to own one would become overwhelming.

Mark, I've seen the hockey stick with the 10" dob and it was fairly clear. But that was an exceptionally clear night. I haven't looked for it since.

I've got a copy of hidden treasures too.

Carol you don't have a touch of aperture fever there do you? Go on! You know you want one. :angry:

Very interesting report Sam. I willl have a look around that area next time I'm out. What's your light pollution like?

I suspect for many of us LP is more of a limiting factor than aperture. My view to the east is straight over Chesterfield and when viewing in this direction I can see no more through my 12" dob than I could with my 8" SCT. Recently I've been observing M51. A couple of months ago the view was underwhelming, just 2 fuzzy blobs. Last week however, up near the zenith using averted vision I could make out nebulosity extending between the 2 parts and just make out some spiral structure. The contrast was enhanced with a CLS filter. This view was better than I ever managed with the 8"SCT.

This thread is making me think we should revive the target of the month thread.

Archived