need your input on choosing next scope for DSO imaging...

I have a Skywatcher azeq6 mount, but my scope is no good for imaging dso's (Celestron 8se) and now have funds to upgrade... I'm either going to go for the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro Outfit or the

Skywatcher Equinox 80 APO PRO OTA...

This scope will be for imaging and not viewing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

I have a Skywatcher azeq6 mount, but my scope is no good for imaging dso's (Celestron 8se) and now have funds to upgrade... I'm either going to go for the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro Outfit or the

Skywatcher Equinox 80 APO PRO OTA...

This scope will be for imaging and not viewing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

8SE is no good for DSO???? It's a great OTA for DSO... but as mentioned above there are DSOs in various sizes, so differing FOVs will be needed, so both the 80ED can be the wider FOV, where as you can use the 8SE for smaller DSOs, such as the Dumbell.

To put you 8SE on the NEQ6, all you need is a adapter like the "ADM D-V style dovetail adapter".

8SE is no good for DSO???? It's a great OTA for DSO... but as mentioned above there are DSOs in various sizes, so differing FOVs will be needed, so both the 80ED can be the wider FOV, where as you can use the 8SE for smaller DSOs, such as the Dumbell.

To put you 8SE on the NEQ6, all you need is a adapter like the "ADM D-V style dovetail adapter".

I'm afraid I don't think it is. I think that you can get more resolution from less aperture, less focal length and with less difficulty. But be that as it may...

For a shorter focal length the Star 71 is very impressive from images posted, including images from people I know personally. It would be on my list. Incredibly, it can cover a full frame chip which the Tak FSQ85 cannot, for example.

Olly

Go for the Evostar, it's the same OTA as the Equinox it just hasn't got the bling (which is nice but not necessary!)

I have viewed and photographed DSO's on both and both produce equally good images. My own scope is the 80ED Evostar and I wouldn't dream of letting it go

Archived