NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

More sky treasures !

cotterless45

An early twilight and kick off with the sky just packed with interest. A high bright ISS marking just before 11.

Cygnus began to glow with the Milky Way showing

NGC 6905 ( "The Blue Flash") .at x150, strangely elongate hanging between stars.

NGC 6871 a really dusty open cluster , along with

NGC 7082 and a delicate NGC 7086.

A most delicate view of the Eastern Veil, a curved arc at NGC 6995 to NGC 6992.

Up to Cepheus ,

NGC 6939 , a most delicate cluster with it's star cloud.

Markarian 50 at 23h 13m 13s. +60 26', a really wonderful glowing wedge of stars.

NGC 7510 showing a small arrow shape.

Up to Lacerta and fields of stars in

NGC 7243 , what appears as a "Disco dancer". Then the horseshoe of NGC 7209, with an adjacent mass of stars.

Back down to Vulpecula and

NGC 6940, full of dust lanes.

Then a visit to the easier M11 , crinkling with stars. M71 and M2 fully resolving .

A look at NGC 7331 in Pegasus , showing what our galaxy would look like.

A quick tour of some doubles at,

Mesartim ( gamma Arietis) one of the first doubles to be split.

Zeta Aquarii showing a lovely glowing pair.

Caught the Cepheus pair of reds at Kruger 60, the pair orbit each other. At just over 44 years. This is enough to trace the movement quite easily.

Iota Trianguli , a lovely yellow and close red split by William Herschel .

κ Pegasi is a lovely challenge, the delicate companion pops out of the glare.

There was so much more observed and to find out about, the sky around Deneb at the zenith was just packed with stars by eye. A lovely sky from the edge of town.

Cloud rolled in just after a lovely view of the Pleiades in the north east.post-6974-0-22371700-1439103059_thumb.jppost-6974-0-16571200-1439103722_thumb.jppost-6974-0-84808800-1439103744_thumb.jppost-6974-0-94074000-1439103930_thumb.jp

Nick.

Great report and sketches, Nick. Really envious of your Veil view; this and the NA Nebula have always eluded me. Tried last night in the ST150 (first light for me) but failed, partly I think because I was observing only a couple of feet from the ground - must invest in a mount extension!

Paul

Sounds like you had a lot of fun again yesterday Nick!

I have to make alist with your double stars at least. They are so many-every report contains 4-5 double stars. I will call it "Cotterless' Fine Doubles".

Keep posting mate!

Clear Skies!

Tzitzis

Nice write up Nick, it's a great knack being able to sketch so well so quickly, if I tried all those I'd still be doing them. :) they compliment the report really well, and emphasise what a nice night you had. I looked at the wild ducks early on last night but the contrast wasn't as good as yours, still great to see though.

You must get more clear skies than I do or do you live at 40,000 feet. Great set of drawings and lovely report. I had a beautiful sky last night but sadly Daniel cut his foot rather badly so the evening was lost, he was very brave though for 8yo, much more so than I ever was.

Alan

Great report Nick, one day the truth will be out there in the fact you do live on a mountain! You must have a great collection of those sketches now, do you store them in a loose leaf binder? or as I suspect - have you started to use them to wallpaper your lounge in your mountain retreat!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Archived