Problems with my new VIXEN LVW EPs

Zhao

Hi all

Yes, I know Vixen SSWs are coming, but I made up my mind and bought 4 brand new Vixen LVW eyepieces this week from different UK retailers. LVWs are legendary eyepieces, I once owned them but sold several years ago. Now I just want to collect them before they withdraw from the market.

Now I received 4 LVWs, but am not happy with any of them.

I know that looking through an eyepiece under flashlight is asking for trouble. But I also know that a brand new eyepiece should be in pristine condition. Dust is unavoidable, it is even normal that you can always find it inside a new eyepiece. I can tolerate a very little amount of dust. But the problem is that I can see too much dust and even unusual dirt/mark inside these eps.

I attached several photos showing what I found unusual in those new LVWs.

Inside LVW 3.5 mm:

I can see a long (about 7mm) liquid mark. I am sure it is not a reflection. This chain mark looks like oil or glue on the surface of an inside lens, shining under my iPhone flashlight. Besides, I also noticed much dust inside eyepiece, looks like residues of cotton wool.

Inside LVW 8 mm:

Under the iPhone flashlight, I can see that numerous bubbles and some dirt (like fingemark) scatter over half of an inside lens’ surface, while the other half of that lens is clean.

LVW 5 and 22 mm are better, though neither of them can save from the inside dust. It is still very easy to see that there is a round (maybe liquid) mark on an inside lens.

I have not tested these eyepieces yet. Maybe these faults will not reduce the performance of viewing. But in theory they will, especially when observing moon, sun, and plants through the high-power 3.5 and 8 mm.

Am I too sensitive? Or overestimate things made in Japan? But these LVWs make me really disappointed. I have to doubt whether Vixen JP really has QC.

I still wanna collect a set of LVW, they are just great. Consider that all 4 new LVWs have some faults, should I convince(cheat) myself that they are normal…? Or, should I give up my plan, return these eps, and get my money back? :huh:

Thanks for reading.

Zhao

(English is not my first language, sorry for any incontinence caused by my mistake and expression. :p )

LVW 3.5

post-40789-0-84595700-1439091905.jpgpost-40789-0-50043800-1439091922.jpgpost-40789-0-04828100-1439091931.jpgpost-40789-0-09431100-1439092028.jpg

LVW 8

post-40789-0-58249900-1439092177.jpgpost-40789-0-02173300-1439092208.jpg

LVW 5

post-40789-0-86518100-1439092406.jpg

This is something I have never done myself. I think the only thing I may well have done is hold them up to a light without my glasses on, so I am not likely to see a great deal in any case.

You could see how they perform under darkness before you take the only real other course of action

From you photos though there does seem to be a fair bit of dust and stuff inside or on a glass surface somewhere in the sysytem. I would if you are not happy, as is would seem you are not, return them for a refund but that leaves you without.

I have just tried your test on my oldest TeleVue and I have to say it looks better than your photos though there is dust inside but that is 5 years old.

Alan

The flashlight is bouncing off several different lenses. The dust is likely greatly magnified.

My advice is to try them - before returning them. They may be fine. But the use of a flashlight (torch) on optics usually makes a pristine lens resemble a WWI battlefield. I just went through a similar situation: Cleaned the lenses in a 80mm refractor. Now it has a 'ghost' under a flashlight - where I know it's clean/spotless. Turns out it's a reflection off the inner tube.

Ban the Flashlights!

Dave

I agree that you should expect a new eyepiece to have pristine glass- and the LVWs are premium eyepieces at premium prices.

I am wondering, as these are now being discontinued and have been around a while, whether your new eyepieces are in fact "new old stock"?? That is, eyepieces that have been in stock a while, maybe have been handled/ shown to a personal caller/customer at the sellers premises, used for a review, customer returned stock etc etc?

When you buy a new item you should be able to expect that you are receiving new, unopened or untouched stock- or be told if that is not the case, in which case you might be offered a discount.

But the comments re the flashlight test are also relevant..a bright flash on your camera will make even a very clean lens look imperfect, so bear that in mind.

If I were you I would contact each supplier, tell them how you feel and that you would like a replacement..if they tell you yours was the " last one", it kind of makes my point..but to be fair to the retailer, they can't and won't keep lots of these items in stock, as the rate of stockturn versus cash tied up doesn't justify it.

You said at the start you want to complete a collection of the set of LVWs. That said, I don't think you will ever be happy til you have a set that you felt were perfect when you bought them, so get them all exchanged for new replacements if you can, and insist on unopened stock being supplied.

Hope that helps.

Dave

This is something I have never done myself. I think the only thing I may well have done is hold them up to a light without my glasses on, so I am not likely to see a great deal in any case.

You could see how they perform under darkness before you take the only real other course of action

From you photos though there does seem to be a fair bit of dust and stuff inside or on a glass surface somewhere in the sysytem. I would if you are not happy, as is would seem you are not, return them for a refund but that leaves you without.

I have just tried your test on my oldest TeleVue and I have to say it looks better than your photos though there is dust inside but that is 5 years old.

Alan

Thanks for you comment Alan.

Even if they affect nothing, these strangely looking dirt/marks are still there. Anyway, I will try them in darkness before I make a decision. :rolleyes:

Zhao

The flashlight is bouncing off several different lenses. The dust is likely greatly magnified.

My advice is to try them - before returning them. They may be fine. But the use of a flashlight (torch) on optics usually makes a pristine lens resemble a WWI battlefield. I just went through a similar situation: Cleaned the lenses in a 80mm refractor. Now it has a 'ghost' under a flashlight - where I know it's clean/spotless. Turns out it's a reflection off the inner tube.

Ban the Flashlights!

Dave

Thanks for your comment Dave. I agree with you that flashlight can make trouble. I will not complain if I see dust in an eyepiece or ota which I have already used for a period. However, I think a brand new eyepiece should stand the test of flashlight inspection. I attended Astrofest and AstroShow for several times, I found that every vendor prepared LED flashlights for potential buyers to check their eps and telescopes.

Dust or dirt in objective lens will not reduce the quality of viewing very much, but dust in eyepiece will do.

I will try these eps before I make the decision whether to return them.

Thank you

Zhao

Zhao

I agree that you should expect a new eyepiece to have pristine glass- and the LVWs are premium eyepieces at premium prices.

I am wondering, as these are now being discontinued and have been around a while, whether your new eyepieces are in fact "new old stock"?? That is, eyepieces that have been in stock a while, maybe have been handled/ shown to a personal caller/customer at the sellers premises, used for a review, customer returned stock etc etc?

When you buy a new item you should be able to expect that you are receiving new, unopened or untouched stock- or be told if that is not the case, in which case you might be offered a discount.

But the comments re the flashlight test are also relevant..a bright flash on your camera will make even a very clean lens look imperfect, so bear that in mind.

If I were you I would contact each supplier, tell them how you feel and that you would like a replacement..if they tell you yours was the " last one", it kind of makes my point..but to be fair to the retailer, they can't and won't keep lots of these items in stock, as the rate of stockturn versus cash tied up doesn't justify it.

You said at the start you want to complete a collection of the set of LVWs. That said, I don't think you will ever be happy til you have a set that you felt were perfect when you bought them, so get them all exchanged for new replacements if you can, and insist on unopened stock being supplied.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Thank you Dave.

I was told by retailers that UK has exhausted all LVW stock… I am too late, all because of the sudden appearance of SSW… Now I think even if I can exchange for new LVWs, the problem might still exist. The problem is not simply dust, but unusual dirt/mark inside lens, which I had not seen in my previous LVWs. Vixen QC standard is problematic.

Anyway I will follow your suggestion, test them first and contact retailer.

Thanks

Zhao

I've used quite a few Vixen eyepieces, new ones loaned to me for reviewing. They have all arrived in pristine condition. If I was sent the ones you have I'd suspect that I'd been sent "customer returns" rather than new ones. I'd not blame Vixen but your supplier here.

We always seem to make excuses for suppliers and manufacturers but we should set high standards. I'd be sending them straight back for replacement. I realise that things are probably different in your location though so I hope you can make some use of them anyway of replacement is not practical.

I've used quite a few Vixen eyepieces, new ones loaned to me for reviewing. They have all arrived in pristine condition. If I was sent the ones you have I'd suspect that I'd been sent "customer returns" rather than new ones. I'd not blame Vixen but your supplier here.

We always seem to make excuses for suppliers and manufacturers but we should set high standards. I'd be sending them straight back for replacement. I realise that things are probably different in your location though so I hope you can make some use of them anyway of replacement is not practical.

Thank you John. I think I should better return them and ask for refund. I am currently living in England, return is not difficult. I was just told that UK has exhausted  all LVW stock... :sad:

Zhao

Zhao,

I think we all thought you may well have a job on sending them back, if not a large expense posting from China. This not being the case i would return them as other posters have said they should look like new and these clear do not.

As I said i did the same thing to my 35mm Panoptic which is about the longest resident in my case and that looked fairly clean, I even had my glasses on. Another that was bought new was absolutely clean and that's been in the case for about two years and gets plenty of exercise.

Alan

Zhao,

I think we all thought you may well have a job on sending them back, if not a large expense posting from China. This being the case i would return them as other posters have said they should look like new and these clear do not.

As I said i did the same thing to my 35mm Panoptic which is about the longest resident in my case and that looked fairly clean, I even had my glasses on. Another that was bought new was absolutely clean and that's been in the case for about two years and gets plenty of exercise.

Alan

Thank you ALan, yes I decide to return them all. I am currently living in England, therefore returning them is not difficult. :smiley:

Zhao

Thank you ALan, yes I decide to return them all. I am currently living in England, therefore returning them is not difficult. :smiley:

Zhao

Good!  While it is unavoidable to have a few specks of dust, what your pictures showed was well beyond that, and for the price of the LVWs I would consider these QC rejects and would be almost impossible to re-sell if you ever did.  So either return or get a 50% discount!

Good advice from Bill above leverage a discount.. You have excellent English skills Zhao,  much better than my complete lack of Mandarin.

Thanks Damian, English is world language. :grin:  And I give up my plan to collect a set of lvw. :embarrassed:

Zhao

Good!  While it is unavoidable to have a few specks of dust, what your pictures showed was well beyond that, and for the price of the LVWs I would consider these QC rejects and would be almost impossible to re-sell if you ever did.  So either return or get a 50% discount!

Thanks Bill. Yes, I have to question its QC since 3 of 4 LVWs that I have received have usual dirt/mark inside.

Even though I can ask my friends who are in HK and JP to buy them for me at a much lower price, I dare not to take that risk...

So I decide to return them all.

Zhao

Thank all of you giving me suggestions!

Just a quick update, I have arranged return and refund. And both retailers are very nice and courtesy indeed.

Well, I have to give up my plan. LVWs are good, I will miss them.

Zhao

Very sorry to hear the LVWs you got did not live up to your expectations. I only have the LVW 42, and do like it. By all accounts, the LVWs are good EPs, but the design is showing its age a bit, and there are others that are as good if not better. I find both the TV Delos and Pentax XWs distinctly more comfortable long eye relief EPs. The 40mm TMB Paragon was also superior in comfort (but I foolishly sold that). These are now sold as SkyWatcher Aeros.

The Vixen SSW's that have just arrived with me for review on the forum are spotless in every sense. Their optics are pristine even when held up to a bright light or a light is shone in them. Thats how things should be :smiley:

The Vixen SSW's that have just arrived with me for review on the forum are spotless in every sense. Their optics are pristine even when held up to a bright light or a light is shone in them. Thats how things should be :smiley:

Good news John  :smiley:

Will be looking forward to a good read in another of your excellent reviews!

Dave

Hi Zhao,

Who told you they were being discontinued? I ask because I have been told they will continue to be made and will continue to be available in the UK. I have just bought the 8mm and am awaiting the arrival of the 22mm next week and the 17mm a couple of weeks after that. Fortunately, I did not have any contamination in the optics of the 8mm, I can only hope the same is true of the 22mm and 17mm!

Hi Zhao,

Who told you they were being discontinued? I ask because I have been told they will continue to be made and will continue to be available in the UK. I have just bought the 8mm and am awaiting the arrival of the 22mm next week and the 17mm a couple of weeks after that. Fortunately, I did not have any contamination in the optics of the 8mm, I can only hope the same is true of the 22mm and 17mm!

Congrats! Good to see your LVW is spotless.

I was told by a UK retailer that LVWs will be discountinued. And guys on CN also implied that: )

Zhao,

I ordered mine directly from Opticron, who are the UK agents for Vixen. They told me the LVWs will continue to be made in Japan, and they will continue to supply them in the UK. If you are still interested, I suggest you email: vixen@opticron.co.uk. Their list price for the 1.25" LVWs is £169 (with free delivery in the UK). The SSWs do not appear to be listed on the UK Vixen site, but they are listed on the US Vixen site. If the UK prices are pro rata the US, the SSWs should cost around £220 in the UK.

I recently took delivery of an LVW 8mm from FLO i have not had chance to look through it yet but it looks perfect. A have also just ordered a 13mm LVW from another stockist and an ES68° 24mm from Germany. :grin:

Archived