Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Travel Mount and Tripod for small Frac?

Thanks Piero,

That looks interesting, the video heads do look easier to use.  The issue is that my set up is a lot heavier - the ES ED80 Triplet is 3.4Kg, and some of the eyepieces are close to half Kg, plus a red dot finder so we're looking at 4Kg of load.

I wonder if the video heads could take that load?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Piero,

That looks interesting, the video heads do look easier to use. The issue is that my set up is a lot heavier - the ES ED80 Triplet is 3.4Kg, and some of the eyepieces are close to half Kg, plus a red dot finder so we're looking at 4Kg of load.

I wonder if the video heads could take that load?

The main problem with these types of heads is when pointing towards or near the zenith. The centre of gravity is not held in line with the alt axis, so the head needs to be tensioned quite hard to stop it tipping back. It all depends on the quality of the head, some of the more decent ones would probably be ok.

I've found giro heads to be simpler and more effective because the centre of gravity is in line with the alt axis so balance is easier to achieve.

I can vouch for the Staradventurer. The Star Adventurer is a great piece of kit, I bought the bundle from FLO.

My tripods are not so great but I can easily mount an Altair Astro ED70 on the SA it with a camera, or just my Lunt wedge and camera, or just the camera.

I am off to NZ in September and the SA and camera are going with me.

I was using it with the Lunt solar wedge on Saturday and just used an inclinometer and a compass to do a polar align. It kept the Sun in view on a 24mm EP for over 2 hours.

I have an older iOptron Smart EQ and was considering selling it, but I have decided to keep it as I like its goto function.

Fixing the SA to the HEQ5 tripod should just need the 3/8" UNC studding, measure the distance from the EP holder to the top of the tripod to get the right length (a bit longer won't hurt) and a couple of wing nuts one to hold the EP tray against the tripod legs and the other to tighten the SA base to the Tripod, the 3/8" studding went through the hole on my NEQ6 with out the need to make it bigger, your HEQ5 i think has the same MM Threaded hole......

Hi Tinker

Well I got the SA today :) Unfortunately I can't simply attach the SA wedge to the heq5 tripod :( It had slipped my mind before but obviously the heq5 azimuth peg gets in the way :( Tut! I should have thought of that before!! I don't want to saw the peg off. I suppose I could undo the legs and invert the base so that the azimuth peg points downwards. I think that should be ok though not sure how flat the side without the peg is. Can but try! Trip up the road to Screwfix for the studding tomorrow. Maybe I don't actually need studding - I don't particularly need the tray to be fitted.

Louise

Doesn't the peg unscrew, the NEQ6 Peg does.......the studding is the screw in the base of the SA so it needs to be UNC threaded......

No - it's welded :( But I think flipping it will sort it. I'll have a go tomorrow. The base of the wedge, you mean? I've ordered some 3/8 unc hex bolts via ebay. Bloomin' Screwfix only appears to do metric.

Thanks for the help

Louise

No - it's welded :( But I think flipping it will sort it. I'll have a go tomorrow. The base of the wedge, you mean? I've ordered some 3/8 unc hex bolts via ebay. Bloomin' Screwfix only appears to do metric.

Thanks for the help

Louise

Well I 'flipped' the tripod so the wedge will sit on the top ok now. Unfortunately the legs will no longer fold in and there's now nothing stopping them from splaying right out. This makes it a little awkward to carry though I think I can manage it. I'm going to fit it with a 'gasket' cut out from an ikea cutting board. If I can cut it to make a tight fit it should form a nice base and help to prevent splaying out. I should get the 3/8" bolts by Friday so will hopefully be able to try it out soon after :)

Top:

post-33532-0-61763500-1438770209.jpg

Bottom showing peg:

post-33532-0-18968800-1438770220.jpg

No chance of a metal plate to fit in the hole so the mount can be the right way up.....maybe a trolly wheel with the tyre removed they sell them in all sorts of sizes....some thing like this.......take a tape to your local DIY store...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubber-Castors-Locking-Castors-Coldene/dp/B005VAMSUO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438777459&sr=8-2&keywords=trolly+wheels

No chance of a metal plate to fit in the hole so the mount can be the right way up.....maybe a trolly wheel with the tyre removed they sell them in all sorts of sizes....some thing like this.......take a tape to your local DIY store...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubber-Castors-Locking-Castors-Coldene/dp/B005VAMSUO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438777459&sr=8-2&keywords=trolly+wheels

Thanks for the suggestion but I think it will be ok upside down - if I take it outside, it's just down 2 flights of stairs. I think it will be light enough to do that :) I don't have a nearby diy store and it would be too much fiddling about anyway. I'll try it and see when I can - it's been a miserable summer here so far...

Cheers

Louise

Archived