Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting glasses

The Warthog

Although I have worn glasses since I was eleven, I haven't worn glasses for seeing at a distance since 1998, when I had my eye lenses replaced with plastic, due to cataracts. Now that I have the Grave's disease problem, which requires me to have a prism in my lens, or wear an eyepatch, I am finally giving in and getting glasses with the slight correction required to bring me up to 25/20ish. I have a slight astigmatism, and although I have stubbornly resisted wearing glasses for distance (I put the prism in plain glass lenses or cheap, low power reading glasses) I am wondering if the glasses with the astigmatism correction will improve things like the questionable focus I sometimes achieve, or seeing details like the Cassini division.

Any opticians here? I won't have the glasses for about 10 days. I hate wearing glasses! :x

Whilst I don't wear glasses, I can appreciate the problems for people who do, particularly when showing people through a scope and finding their focus is completely different to mine, although that's more of a short/long sightedness issue. You probably already know about these -

http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=259

which seem to be the cure for most people with the problem you describe.

Regards, Dave

We do have an optician on SGL WH, but I can't recall his name, but I will delve and try to find him. Hopefully he will read your post and respond long before I get around to finding him.

Sight is one of the senses we treasure, and I hope the improvements are forthcoming mate.

Ron.

WH, you could PM huwbellamy - he's and optician and has said he's happy to deal with queries!

Helen

Thanks Helen, I knew we had someone in that field, but my memory capacity is down to .05Kb. now. I haven't seen him post for a while though. I 'm sure he would be happy to advise WH though.

Ron. ;)

Just had a look, October 6th. 2007

WH, I have to wear glasses most of the time - you get used to them but they are tricky to use when observing - I take them off to look in the eyepiece but then have to put them on to look at the sky without the scope to re position - or just to take it all in. I have stood on them, dropped them and kicked them accidentally to. But despite all that it's quite handy being able to see! so they're not so bad.

Sam

WH, I have to wear glasses most of the time - you get used to them but they are tricky to use when observing - I take them off to look in the eyepiece but then have to put them on to look at the sky without the scope to re position - or just to take it all in. I have stood on them, dropped them and kicked them accidentally to. But despite all that it's quite handy being able to see! so they're not so bad.

Sam

;) Sounds exactly like me Sam!

Hope everything turns out OK WH!!

Thanks, guys and Helen. It's not so much a question of getting used to glasses, except that I have never used them at the telescope, as I started using a telescope after I stopped wearing glasses. I am interested in whether I can expect to be able to pick up any finer detail with the astigmatixm correction in the glasses than I can without them. The correction in my right eye is on the order of 0.25.

I know what it's like. I'm really shortsighted and also have astigmatism, I wear varifocals and it can be a pain in the bottom but it's a necessary evil.

Much like Lightbucket I often take mine off for observing. My husband has very thick glasses and if he comes and has a look he always takes his off to view. I have yet to try any photography but I suspect it may cause some problems.

Chin up mate it's better to see clearly

Pip

I am supposed to wear specs myself truth is I am useless at remembering to wear them.So sometimes I do but mostly do not!

I try, but really ought to try harder. I am sure my eyes need re testing as well right now too. I will probably end off with a nice pair of f7.5s :shock: ;)

I'm astigmatic but observe without specs. I seem to recall reading that astigmatism of the eye becomes less of a problem as magnification increases, but I find it hard to say whether I find this in practice, because higher magnification also increases the effect of any astigmatism in the telescope. At low powers I'm more aware of aberrations such as coma.

Andrew

An astigmatism correction of 0.25 is about as small as an optician can reliably detect (according to mine). The astigmatism in my right eye (the good un) is currently measured at 0.25 and to be honest when I use my glasses I don't really detect any difference except possibly on my longer focal length eyepieces, at which point I start noticing coma so the astigmatism doesn't really bother me.

It may make a difference to eye strain, since getting my new prescription my eye gets tired a little quicker although I'm expecting things to improve in that dept.

HTH

James

Hi WH,

I've got the same level of correction for my right eye astigmatism and I can definitely say that my overall focusing has improved since starting to wear glasses just recently - far less focusing fine tuning required, and the only times I can distinctly see the cassini division is while I'm wearing my glasses. Even thought it's slightly difficult to position over the eyepiece and the eye strain can be a problem after prolonged viewing (more so than without) - I can simply see more with them on - hope this helps.

HI, FFE!

That's what I've been wondering about. Any time I have used binoculars, I have taken my glasses off, and fine detail when you are identifying an Indigo Bunting isn't as important as it is when you are trying to see the Cassini Division. Anyway, I haven't had prescription glasses since I've owned a telescope, making do with cheap reading glasses (my cataract surgery was 10 years ago.) I am hoping this new prescription allows me to see some things that have eluded me over the past nine years of telescope ownership.

Archived