Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The joy of Non GoTo

Paul73

That's a very reasoned and thought out decision Avtaram. The 127 is a great scope and the 90mm makes for a perfect grab & go. If you buy an erecting diagonal the 90mm would also make a super terrestrial spotting scope. The only other thing you will need is a dewshield for the 127.

@bigSumorian, can understand that especially if you are at the end of walton atw.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

William Herschel *discovered* 72 galaxies in one night with an alt-az mounted scope when GoTo was not so much as a twinkle in his great-great-great-...-granddaughter's eye. If it was good enough for him it's good enough for me.

I don't mind star hopping, in fact I quite enjoy it on occasion, but I'm curious when you say it was good enough for herschel. exactly how would he  have used goto anyway when discovering galaxies? I also wonder how many early astronomers would have jumped at it given the opportunity? 

I don't mind star hopping, in fact I quite enjoy it on occasion, but I'm curious when you say it was good enough for herschel. exactly how would he  have used goto anyway when discovering galaxies? I also wonder how many early astronomers would have jumped at it given the opportunity? 

Herschel aimed his telescope south and moved it up and down while stars drifted across the field of view, and this was how he discovered 2500 DSOs. He of course needed to identify the location of his discoveries. If he'd used an equatorial mount (or had GoTo) he could have recorded RA and Dec. Instead he measured positions in relation to named stars plotted on existing atlases. Star-hopping in reverse. The undriven alt-az mount (or as we now tend to call it, dobsonian) was good enough for him to get good views of DSOs, and it's good enough for me. Now his DSOs are plotted on maps, so the whole thing is so much easier for us. The only hard part is finding a sky as dark as his.

the point I am making is 1. goto mounts advantage is that it goes to a position you know. as you say, an eq mount would be sufficient to plot co-ordinants. and 2. he didn't not use goto because he thought it was defeating the challenge but because it was unavailable. as I said, I don't mind star hopping (mainly with bins). but to say it was good enough is just not accurate is it? he used other otions because its all he had :)

Herschel aimed his telescope south and moved it up and down while stars drifted across the field of view, and this was how he discovered 2500 DSOs. He of course needed to identify the location of his discoveries. If he'd used an equatorial mount (or had GoTo) he could have recorded RA and Dec. Instead he measured positions in relation to named stars plotted on existing atlases. Star-hopping in reverse. The undriven alt-az mount (or as we now tend to call it, dobsonian) was good enough for him to get good views of DSOs, and it's good enough for me. Now his DSOs are plotted on maps, so the whole thing is so much easier for us. The only hard part is finding a sky as dark as his.

When I used to use my scope (before my hip arthritis got too bad to take them out), I did what Herschel did (basically). I would so sky sweeps along my prime meridian. After 2 hours of doing a sweep every minute, my back and legs woud be pretty achy.

When I used to use my scope (before my hip arthritis got too bad to take them out), I did what Herschel did (basically). I would so sky sweeps along my prime meridian. After 2 hours of doing a sweep every minute, my back and legs woud be pretty achy.

In addition to the above, I now use 15x70 bins and relax in a zero gravity chair. That gives me the most comfortable viewing sessions ever.

Alternatively you could remove the hopping part and just star - Solar is very easy :grin:

On a more serious note I too have changed from complete automation to completely manual, and I do prefer it.

GoTo has great advantages especially if your new to the hobby and we do have limited time with our poor climate.

nice report and well done, but i prefer to do a observing list and actualy find them when i want and as quick as i want. the push to nexus system is great no noise and 100% accurate . well done again though

nice report and well done, but i prefer to do a observing list and actualy find them when i want and as quick as i want. the push to nexus system is great no noise and 100% accurate . well done again though

come to the dark side Mike, You know you want too :)

I upgraded to a goto then found got 2 more scopes for visual with a eq3-2. Now the goto i intend using for imaging when i got what i need.

In the meantime i used the eq3. What a delight to use. The last 2 nights with the 150p hunting targets and star hopping have bought some enjoyment back

Archived