Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Christmas Quarkers and 130APO triplet

A40farinagolf

I've been asked by her indoors what I want for Christmas, there's nothing like a bit of forward planning!!

Last year I received a 130APO Triplet and a focal reducer which equates to f/5.5 and I'd like to use it for solar.

I've never had a solar scope and I'm considering asking Santa for a Quark chromosphere to use for both visual and AP.

Are they compatible? I've looked at the Altair Astro website and their recommended scopes for Quark useage stop at 102mm and a UV/IR cut filter is required.

£849 is best price so far unless someone knows different.

Thanks in advance

M

M,

It is refreshing to see that you have sought advice prior to blinding yourself.

102mm is certainly not the largest aperture diameter that can be used with a quark. However, there are some strict rules to follow with reference to aperture diameters and the filters required, it is best to check on Daystars web page for the correct information.

https://www.daystarfilters.com/Quark.shtml

A lot of folk use between 100mm & 120mm with a reducer and a UV/IR filter.

I use my Quark combined with an 80mm triplet & a UVIR filter. My scope also has an F5 ratio and it delivers some fantastic full disc views.

You will not achieve a full disc view when using scopes with a focal length above approx 460mm

There have been some quality issues with the units so be sure to ask for one that has been checked by the retailer as well as Daystar before you receive it.

£849 seems reasonable to me although there will be extras :laugh:

Thanks for the feedback and link to the Daystar website.

I've downloaded the Quark manual and an extract is pasted in below:

For telescopes under approximately 120mm of aperture, a screw in UV/IR cut filter can be employed in front of the telescope diagonal. The UV/IR cut filter reflects UV and IR light back out the front of the telescope, reducing temperatures inside. Do not use a UV/IR cut filter with oil spaced objective telescopes, or any telescope with an integrated rear field flattener or Petzval lens. The UV/IR cut filter must be the first optical element to receive concentrated light. For best performance, a red or yellow glass front mount Energy Rejection Filter should be used. This prevents almost all heat from entering the telescope, and is the safest option.

Regards,

Mark

I would go for a Quark and stop your scope down to 120mm just to be safe. Assuming your Quark is good, the results should beat a Lunt 60.

I use a 120ED with a Quark and UV/IR cut filter and it works very well.

I think most people use a 1.25" reducer after the Quark, it's worth checking if it's ok to use a reducer with only the UV/IR protecting it (ie after the filter but before the Quark) as I'm not sure.

You could always buy a smaller scope 80 mm and a Quark for 60 - 70% of the new cost a new 60mm Lunt that will give comparative views. You will then only require a UVIR filter and no reducer.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Lunt-Solar-Telescopes.html

However, I used to love my Lunt 60mm & b600 filter as it gave me many hours of very enjoyable solar observing, but I must be honest it did not compare to the views I see now.

I believe you would need at least the b1200 filter to get within the same ballpark as the Quark/80mm combo ( over £2k in the link above ) even then the prominences would not be as vibrant as with the Quark.

There are pros and cons to both options which have been covered in other threads within SGL, a quick search will uncover a few threads on this very subject.

As you know Mark I bought the Lunt 50

There is little doubt that with the right scope you get better everything with the Quark.

My concerns were:

1. I'd potentially need to buy a smaller scope

2. Uneasy with all the talk of heat build up etc

3. Power required

4. Cool down

5. Need to buy an expensive filter

6. Durability/life span of heating element unknown

7. If I want a quark in the future I can double stack it on the Lunt 50 (I think)

The results of others such as Dave Smith largely outweigh these concerns but the final straw was ease of set up and the fact I can double stack the Lunt  with another etalon filter.

If I had an 80mm Espirit - I'd probably have decided differently.

Now, after saying in my blogpost on the subject I wasn't going to discuss my thinking process on buying the Lunt I better copy paste this post to it....:-)

Regards

David

David,

All the points you make above are valid and do need to be considered. Great post :smiley:

Just one point to help you in the future, I did double stack my Quark on my old Lunt 60 and although it did work very well, there was a very annoying banding effect that gave a streaky type view.

Archived