Finally had a go at the milky way last night with time on my hands and a clear sky. I thought to make the most of it go mobile with the SA connected to the laptop and try out BYN. I have to admit I was disapointed the night sky was breathtaking but finding it hard with BYN at the moment. I had pre loaded some settings ( shutter speed, ISO etc) and pressed capture, I felt it took away the feel for a photo a bit just watching a laptop. The main problem for me was the pause function as I had pressed it halfway through thinking I could change settings but found out I cant untill its completed its cycle. ( Note to self make the cycle smaller next time). I had also set it to save to PC and camera but when I got home it had only saved some to pc so I will have to bear that in mind next time. All part of the learning curve I suppose.

post-25141-0-32659900-1437251720_thumb.j

post-25141-0-77046400-1437251752_thumb.j

post-25141-0-61305700-1437251858_thumb.j

Thx guys, they were taken up the Brecon visitor centre, pretty dark but you do get the light pollution facing south towards merthyr which is a shame as thats where the beacons are but still a good and more importantly a relativly safe place. I did mean to put this one up also which i think is the better one

post-25141-0-83086600-1437254862_thumb.j

Well I am flattered as I have seen some cracking shots on here of deep space etc , I am on a learning curve and the plan is to get as much done now to see where I am going wrong. I must say everytime I go out and come back I do find I have learned something which can only be a good thing. Cant wait for Autumn/Winter and get out to some real dark areas

BYN, AFAIK you can only select one destination per session for images. Yes, settings must not be changed mid session. If you want to do that, click "abort" and BYN will stop the session and data to that point will be saved, then start a new session.

As far as viewing subs, I find BYN to be superior to camera display. If set properly, BYN will show a preview for each sub and the whole sesion in sequence at the bottom. Once selected, a preview can be enlarged to a great degree.

The pause time , it's convenient to set it to the time it takes a sub to download to storage, or the settle time if one is dithering.

Ah thx, yes I agree the BYN is much better than the camera. I had set pause to 10 secs not realising it pauses anyway to download (which was about 17 secs) so I wernt that far off really. The abort is what I clicked  as I wanted to move the mount and everything (the USB lead was way to short for me to move everything at the same time). So I aborted the BYN and just took some shots using camera and mount. Its when I got home I looked on the card and it had only stored the subs from the point that I had disconnected even though I had put save to PC and laptop, It did give me a fright but luckily it had saved them to the laptop, So I know next time now that if I abort it wont save to the card. Great bit of software mind even if i havnt a clue on what its capable of yet 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived