Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'm driving myself mad to distraction ....

Hi folks

Even though I've had my Orion ED80 over 10 years now, and I've used it more regularly in the last 12 months or so, I still feel a complete novice.  I upgraded my bog-standard Sirius plossls with a Pentax XW 10mm and a Maxvision 24mm, quality EPs that I will always be happy with I know.  Then I jumped on the BST ED bandwagon, good quality at a very bargain price, and got an 8mm and a 12mm .... I expected them to Barlow well too with my Orion Shorty-Plus.  I really think I should've gone for a TV 3-6 zoom ...  Instead I've done utterly mad and random things like buying Orion deepview 32mm and 6mm planetary EPs ....  And more recently I've been enticed by a wee family of orthos (Astro Hutechs, 6, 7, 9 and 18mm), AND Vixen SLVs (4, 5 and 12mm).  The 'logic' behind the orthos was that the more I read up on EPs preferences here on SGL the more I saw that a lot of people really swore by them and the true natural views that they provide ....  The Vixen 12mm SLV was an upgrade to my BST, and the 5 and 4mm were just 'Oh what the hell, why not?!  I have space for them in my EP case!' .....  I know that I have got quite a bit of quality glass but now I'm driving myself almost stark raving mad thinking, why didn't I just upgrade the plossls, like I did, and then get the Nagler zoom?!  On the positive side, I think I've got an eclectic set of EPs that I can put to good enough use on my ED80 ...  On the negative, I really doubt that I can ever justify getting the TV Nagler 3-6 zoom that I really think I should just've gone and gotten ... :mad:  ....  Yes, I can sell-off some of what I currently have, but should I?  By nature I am generally reluctant to sell what I buy, just in-case I do have reason to regret ....  I have one space in my case for a standard 1 1/4" EP ...  Do I get a 3-6mm zoom, or do I stay happy and content and sensible with what I've got? 

Impartial honest opinions very welcome please ....

Clear skies all,

Donaldo :confused:

You have done something I cannot - bought 1 or 2 eyepieces from a selection of makes/brands.

I bought the BST's Explorers, Starguiders now, and that was it.

I have other EP's running around but they do not get used, the BST's fit everything more or less and if they don't then I do not worry. I have given away a number of the ones I do not use.

If I could have one request it would be that Barsta produce the Starguidsers in 4mm and 6mm as well as the present set.

The other aspect is equipment does not make you a "novice", knowledge is the cause of that.

ditto ronin`s comments........... totally satisfied with what I have for my scope. 

And why do you feel so novice? A lack of Astronomy skills from 10 Years of use, or novice in the selection of EPs?

I would suggest neither!

Even P.Moore was still learning about astronomy, and as for eyepieces, sometimes its the only way to find out if they work or not, by actually buying and using them, as in your case.

My collection could have been quite different today. I did not want the most expensive EPs, as these would not improve my telescope (subjective) just  as long as they allowed me to see the image clearly, and I wanted  to build a Plossl set from the outset, as the Plossl was the de-facto EP to have, or so I thought? I liked the Meade brand at first, but could not get the specific EP`s I desired, so went for an 8mm Starguider, after reading advice  here at SGL. A full set of Starguiders was soon to follow.  I still wanted to try a Plossl and was kindly loaned a Tele Vue 8mm. Now despite the early warnings, jumping from the 8mm BST to the 8mm TV was not a great experience for me. yet looking in my signature I now own  4 Plossl EP`s and their very good, especially  the 9mm. Its finding what feels right for you.

What about, with so many eyepieces,  buying a new telescope, fire that enthusiasm again, not saying  there's anything is wrong with the 80mm.

I've owned a couple of the TV Nagler 3-6 zooms over the years. They are really excellent eyepieces but for some reason I just didn't take to them :rolleyes2:

I've also used the Astro Hutech orthos and the Vixen SLV's and found nothing to choose between them optically but the viewing comfort of the SLV's is much nicer I feel.

In your shoes I'd probably add the 6mm Vixen SLV, forgo the Nagler zoom and sell the 6mm Hutech ortho to part-fund the SLV.

Nothing wrong with trying out different eyepiece types to find out what suits you but buying used is the way to do it.

Hi guys,

thanks for comments and thoughts .....  Always appreciated :)   I've obviously got myself in to a wee bit of an EP muddle ....  It'll take time, but I'll sort it ;)   I will say though, irrespective of my 'equipment' or my years that I use my equipment, I'll always feel a novice under the stars! 

Donaldo

Yes, I can sell-off some of what I currently have, but should I?

Donaldo,

With just the one scope there's no doubt you could cull quite a bit of your glass. There's a fair bit of repetition in your kit and so I imagine you're not working all those eyepieces.

These small, wide field fracs have a lot going for them. They are very quick to set up, need very little cooling time, they cut through poor seeing quite well, give gorgeous views of open clusters, star fields and bright nebulae and the contrast is wonderful. Due to their nature, I don't think they need such a comprehensive run of eyepieces, so if you weren't planning to purchase another scope, I'd have to agree with Shane: it may be an idea to just keep the set up simple and light with a 24mm, 10mm XW and sell the rest. With the funds you could go for that Nagler Zoom your heart was nudging you towards :smiley:

Donaldo,

I have owned a 3-6mm Nagler Zoom and have used it in my 80mm refractor. Something I noticed, even when viewing the a bright full Moon, when used at the 3mm setting I found the view to dark to enjoy.  My 2.5mm SLV gives a brighter view than the NZ, despite being even higher powered !!! 

I can't even begin to explain why the SLV is brighter but I think its due to the larger size of the glass that one looks through. However, I am sure this dark condition was mostly due to the aperture of the 80mm as I also used the NZ in my SCT and it was fine. My best advice would be to stop at 4mm with the 80mm scope as this is about the most I can get away without compromising the brightness of the view.

I also think the 10mm XW is a complete waste of money and you should sell it to me at a bargain price. I can then add it to my other 3 XW's :grin:  :evil:

As for feeling like a novice, I hope this is some comfort to you..... I am forever chopping and changing my eyepieces and scopes. Maybe one day soon I will be content with what I have.

The one fact about eye pieces Donaldo, you can only use them one at a time. You must have some that you like to use the most for specific observations and others that don`t get used all that often. You have been building towards top quality TV glass, if that is what is finally going to settle the ship, then off load the unwanted passengers see the purser and go for what you want :)

• 2 weeks later...

My 2.5mm SLV gives a brighter view than the NZ, despite being even higher powered !!! 

I can't even begin to explain why the SLV is brighter but I think its due to the larger size of the glass that one looks through. 

I don't want to change the OP's topic, so please consider this just as an isolated text because I was caught by Shaun's comment. 

I find your comment interesting, Shaun because it is exactly the same I find every time with my vixen SLV 5mm. 

To my eye, it is brighter than my Nagler 7mm despite a 33% decrease in exit pupil (1.2mm vs 0.8mm), and when barlowed, it is brighter than my Nagler 3.5mm (0.6mm vs 0.4mm exit pupil). I thought my eye worked funny with that eyepiece, but after reading your comment, I have started doubting it..  

Anyway, the SLVs are great eyepieces!  :)

I believe the only downside one could report is the 50 degrees fov, but on the other hand, they are smaller, lighter and cheaper (!) than Pentaxes XW, so it is a fair compromise! :)

Archived