Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An early report....

I'm off out for the first part of tonight but have set up in preparation for later.

Not a cloud or dark patch visible anywhere and Metcheck is showing clear right the way through.

Looks like an all-nighter :lol: :lol: :lol:

My main target tonight is U Orionis, a variable star, as I am trying to participate in the BAA VSO programme. But before I do, I need to identify the flippin' things!!

Once thing I notice when setting up and aligning, was how beautiful the sky was at dusk. The stars, though not entirely visible naked eye, certainly were in the EP and against the rich blue of twighlight were gorgeous. I was getting annoyed at one point because things kept drifting, until I realised that nothing was powered yet and I was only supposed to be aligning.

Around the Orion constellation there are some magnificant red and hot blue stars that twinkle like mad in the dusk atmosphere. Betelguese was the same and really a sight to behold. I felt ........ excited and awed all over again - like the first time I looked through the scope at Saturn.

If I didn't have to go out, I would be there still, but next time you get the chance, set up a little earlier and take a few minutes to observe against the dusky blue twilight.

>sigh<

Gaz

You missed M67 :lol:

How is the seeing for you guys tonight it is definately a low to medium power night tonight. I couldn't push the Newt past x200 mad and the OMC was about the same( I'll write a first light report soon)

I did get a look at M1 tonight but from my backgarden it is truly underwhelming.

I did get a couple of good DS measurements.

Cheers

Ian

Early Report 2...

After about 3 hrs of really getting everything wrong to processing images wrong i was near to giving up and watching inane TV :shock:. Thought hang on dont give up have a brew and a cig and relax hehe. Well i wanted to image M81/82 so i kick my own butt and got back outside it took around 1 hr to get them in the cameras view and focus them whilst lying down on th floor so i could see the view finder and camera LCD screen.

Ding Dong i cracked it and took around 40 images at differant exposures ranging from 30 secs to 1 min wipppie!

Just shows dont give up!

James :lol:

I came in about 01:45, mist was following Leo (which is what I was waiting for) from the East. I had a good night, split a load of doubles (inspired by Lunator :lol:), got a couple of Avis of Saturn and did the usual Messiers (too many open clusters for my liking this time of year).

Good night all in all, I just would have liked to have a look at the Leo/Virgo galaxies.....

Good effort James!!

My night did not go to plan at all, I didn't get out until gone 1am, and came in a 2:15 :lol:

M1 was well past me, as was Orion so both my targets for tonight were gone!

I thought, no worries, I image Saturn. Nope. Something in the optical path is showing the screen in 'blobs' (of what I do not know!).

Tomorrow will see me investigating that!!

So I just scouted around, and bagged M37 and M36. Saw a meteor at 2:05am, shooting through the bowl of the plough - will log it in the map tomorrow.

Similar happened to me last week Daz, the RA wouldn't track on my EQ6 - I ended up taking the motors out and cleaning the gears twice by torch light. By the time I finally got round to observing I wasn't really in the mood.....

I came in about 01:45, mist was following Leo (which is what I was waiting for) from the East. I had a good night, split a load of doubles (inspired by Lunator :lol:), got a couple of Avis of Saturn and did the usual Messiers (too many open clusters for my liking this time of year).

Good night all in all, I just would have liked to have a look at the Leo/Virgo galaxies.....

Gaz

Which ones?

Did you make any sketches? or noted rough PA or seperations?

Last night was a night for wide-ish doubles. 10"+ seperation.

James, glad you got M81/82. I have trouble seeing them from my site so I look forward to seeing your images.

Daz, sorry to hear the night didn't go to plan. The blobbiness wasn't due to the poor seeing was it?

Cheers

Ian

:lol: Gutted.....Reading all your reports of clear sky's freezing butts etc. I had a 80th birthday party (not mine)! By time I got home a little worse for ware my sky was a bit to mucky. Still, forcast for tonight is goodish so am planning to get out and finaly get to do some more drawings coz it's been a while. Clear skys to you all

I've still got the original silver lens which I use when not using the camera, and as that is sealed it works well. I've obviously not replaced it at some point recently.

BUT yours is a good idea for when swapping the cam out against EP's, barlows and prime focus.

Tip of the week :lol:

Gaz

Which ones?

Did you make any sketches? or noted rough PA or seperations?

Last night was a night for wide-ish doubles. 10"+ seperation.

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

I got a list of "easy" doubles from http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/dblstar/dblstar2.html , some arn't that easy!!! :lol:

They're listed by RA but I couldn't get the ones around Pisces as I don't know that area of the the sky too well. :lol:

The ones I DID split: :lol:

Delta Orion

Zeta Orion (I made a sketch of this, 3 stars - very nice!)

Beta Orion

Theta Orion

118 Tauri (and a quick look at M1 :lol:)

Chi Tauri

Theta Aurigae

Alpha and Gamma Leonis.

The number of times I couldn't split a double (or see the companion) at X100 but could at x200 and then went back to x100 and could see it easily.....it makes you realize how many stars you miss....

Archived