NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I am a new member. I need help in deciding which telescope to buy.

Hi,

I live in India where the availability of telescopes is limited. I have two options which fits my budget right now. 

1. Celestron Astromaster 130 eq reflective telescope

2. Skywatcher 153mm 150p/1200 dobsonian telescope

The second costs exactly the double. I want to use the telescope for deep sky objects, nebulae, galaxies and all. I am really confused right now as to which one I should buy. I am ready to pay that double price if second option is far better than the first.

Please help me.

Thanks 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and a warm welcome to SGL.

It's a matter of opinion, but your second and more expensive choice would be better. Larger aperture, simpler to use.

But see what others have to say, not just me.

All the best with your decision, Ed.

Are you planning on just visual or do you want to do astrophotography? If just visual go for the dobsonian as it is a lot easier to use. Also the mount supplied with the 130eq is said to be quite wobbly. How far will you have to carry it or how portable will it need to be? Although dobsonians look big, they can be easily carried around as the tube and the base, but with an eq mounted scope you have to carry round the tripod, scope, weights etc. However I may be biased as I've only ever used a DOB. But overall I'd go for the DOB as it is simply set up and view, and you dont get the eyepiece in an awkward position.

Are you planning on just visual or do you want to do astrophotography? If just visual go for the dobsonian as it is a lot easier to use. Also the mount supplied with the 130eq is said to be quite wobbly. How far will you have to carry it or how portable will it need to be? Although dobsonians look big, they can be easily carried around as the tube and the base, but with an eq mounted scope you have to carry round the tripod, scope, weights etc. However I may be biased as I've only ever used a DOB. But overall I'd go for the DOB as it is simply set up and view, and you dont get the eyepiece in an awkward position.Hi, thanks for the reply

Hi, thanks for the reply. Astrophotography is not that important for me. I don't have to carry it far, just few steps. I have one more doubt. Is celestron astromaster kit compatible with my second choice? 

Hi guys, 

Thanks a lot for your reply. It really helped me to end my confusion. I'm definitely going for second one.

I have one more query. Is celestron astromaster kit compatible with this dobsonian? I don't get any other kit here.

Thanks.

What do you mean by the kit? Is it an eyepiece kit? If so then yes it is compatible, but isn't recommended by many people on here. Most of the eyepiece you wont use, the same goes for the filter. Best to buy 2 or 2 ep's that you will use a lot. This thread will help you choose. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43171-eyepieces-the-very-least-you-need/ Also if you're in doubt about the brands, I'm sure people on here would be happy to help

The 150p SW comes with a 10mm & 25mm eyepiece which will work nicely- these scopes are capable of fine views and down the road would benefit from different eyepieces. I would buy a Cheshire tool to collimate the scope with, Celestron makes one. If you have light skies you may want to concentrate on the moon/planets and DSO like M57, M27 etc.  A Rigel finder is also a good option, or the heavier Telrad.

Instead of the kit I would buy a Cheshire and a Rigel if possible (IMHO).

What do you mean by the kit? Is it an eyepiece kit? If so then yes it is compatible, but isn't recommended by many people on here. Most of the eyepiece you wont use, the same goes for the filter. Best to buy 2 or 2 ep's that you will use a lot. This thread will help you choose. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43171-eyepieces-the-very-least-you-need/ Also if you're in doubt about the brands, I'm sure people on here would be happy to help

Yeah , the kit which has 6mm  ep and 2x barlow. 

And thanks for the link. I read the post. It is very informative. :)

Just out of curiosity, If I want to do astrophotography then the first choice is better?

Thanks

Loads of people have the Celestron, but not the best by far for imaging.......

As we have all said, the more expensive Dobsonian would be a lot better, and ideal for basic observing.

All the best, Ed.

I will assume the celestron 130 on the eq mount will be the same as the skywatcher 130 eq which I used for a few months. My eq 2 was very wobbly, and I had to strip it down and add new grease.

When using a webcam to image Jupiter the slightest bit of wind sent the scope nuts.

I would go for the dob if your just using it for visual stuff. I upgraded from my eq2 within a few months.

Thanks a lot guys. I finally ordered the Skywatcher 6" DOB today. Waiting for it to get delivered. Thank you all again for your replies. :)

That's great.

Please let us know how you get on with your new scope :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

Archived