Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I am a new member. I need help in deciding which telescope to buy.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey shubha .. aapko hearty welcome .. where did u get a 6 " dob ? My goodness i couldnt find it anywhere ! How much did it cost you ? I have celestron astromaster 130 .. please send me a pic if you can ! Ill really appreciate it ! Congratulations ! Hope the skies are clear .. but i think monsoon will make you wait . Patience is the key !

Thanks a lot guys. I finally ordered the Skywatcher 6" DOB today. Waiting for it to get delivered. Thank you all again for your replies. :)

Should be a great starter scope, I have a rebranded 10" version of that scope. While you're waiting do some research on COLLIMATION because it's a big deal with dobsonians, also I whole-heartedly recommended purchasing a CHESHIRE collimation eyepiece if your scope doesn't come with one, makes collimation a breeze over simply using a cap or laser (I hate lasers!).

This thing is a life-saver:

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-94182-Collimation-Eyepiece-1-25/dp/B00009R7RJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434741158&sr=8-1&keywords=celestron+cheshire

Hey shubha .. aapko hearty welcome .. where did u get a 6 " dob ? My goodness i couldnt find it anywhere ! How much did it cost you ? I have celestron astromaster 130 .. please send me a pic if you can ! Ill really appreciate it ! Congratulations ! Hope the skies are clear .. but i think monsoon will make you wait . Patience is the key !

Thank you Syed. :). I ordered from c-sky, skywatcher-india official website. You should mail them. I haven't got it yet. They have dispatched. It has to come from Mumbai, weather is very bad there. Hope it reaches safe. I will upload a pic as soon as I get it. It costed me around 31,000 Rs for telescope, collimation eyepiece and a 2X barlow lens. Sky is not clear as it is raining here in Bangalore, but Icouldn't miss the offer price and desperately wanted to buy one :).

Should be a great starter scope, I have a rebranded 10" version of that scope. While you're waiting do some research on COLLIMATION because it's a big deal with dobsonians, also I whole-heartedly recommended purchasing a CHESHIRE collimation eyepiece if your scope doesn't come with one, makes collimation a breeze over simply using a cap or laser (I hate lasers!).

This thing is a life-saver:

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-94182-Collimation-Eyepiece-1-25/dp/B00009R7RJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434741158&sr=8-1&keywords=celestron+cheshire

Hi. Yeah I have ordered the collimation eyepiece, not the laser one.

Your scope will serve you well for a long time Shubha and its planetary/lunar views will be VG as will DSO be under dark skies. Good idea buying the Cheshire, it will make lining up the mirrors a breeze. Looking forward to your first light! It might make some refractor guys wince though! :evil:  :grin:

Hi and welcome to SGL. I am a fellow amateur from India. I must say, you made a great choice there by ordering the dob. Kudos to SGL for great advice, as always!

C-sky telescopes have a great reputation, and a very good customer service. Also, the prices are reasonable as compared to the other dealer in India, namely tejraj. One of my friends got a 10" dob from them at 55k while on tejraj, the 8" dob was for the same price.

Do let us know when you get the scope, and do post pics. Where do you live in India? Feel free to message if you want to chat!

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to SGL. I am a fellow amateur from India. I must say, you made a great choice there by ordering the dob. Kudos to SGL for great advice, as always!

C-sky telescopes have a great reputation, and a very good customer service. Also, the prices are reasonable as compared to the other dealer in India, namely tejraj. One of my friends got a 10" dob from them at 55k while on tejraj, the 8" dob was for the same price.

Do let us know when you get the scope, and do post pics. Where do you live in India? Feel free to message if you want to chat!

Good luck!

Hi, Thanks farunj. Ya the customer service was really good, they were patient throughout and responded well. I heard tejraj build his own telescopes using only parts of original so didn't go for that.I live in Bangalore, and the weather is not helping. :( , may not be able to post pics so soon. Need to learn a lot :)

Your scope will serve you well for a long time Shubha and its planetary/lunar views will be VG as will DSO be under dark skies. Good idea buying the Cheshire, it will make lining up the mirrors a breeze. Looking forward to your first light! It might make some refractor guys wince though! :evil:  :grin:

Hi, Thanks farunj. Ya the customer service was really good, they were patient throughout and responded well. I heard tejraj build his own telescopes using only parts of original so didn't go for that.I live in Bangalore, and the weather is not helping. :( , may not be able to post pics so soon. Need to learn a lot :)

Yes this is not really a good season to order telescopes! The rains do not help at all, and there is the pent-up excitement to deal with! When your telescope arrives, try setting it up for yourself, and get familiar with it. It is a great scope, and you will definitely enjoy using it!

Cheers!

Congratulations are in order! You will enjoy a lot with the beast I am sure! Although, now that you have your telescope it will rain for a week as it always happens when you get some new astro gear! [emoji28]

Hi all

I am really thankful to all of you for clearing my doubts and helping to buy an awesome telescope. I am really happy ichose the 6" dob. I could see jupiter, Saturn and Venus today with moons. It was so sharp view. I could c the bands and 4 moons if Jupiter. Phase of Venus. And the rings and 2 moons of Saturn very clearly at 240x. The moon was awesome. Hoping to see more in future. It is a fantastic scope for a beginner like me :).

Thanks,

Shubha

Congrats Shubha! You made a fine choice and wait until you get used to this scope..... the views will keep getting better and better :smiley: I heard those f8 SW mirrors were VG and your experience confirms this. Wait until you get a Baader Classic ortho or 2 in the focuser :grin: , down the road of course...

Archived