Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory Update

Helen

Brilliant Rob (sorry for calling you Roy earlier on ;) ). It looks like you have exactly the same wheels as me! No way I can take my roof off either. Looks like a job for the weekend.

Thanks again

Helen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I did it Helen, was to get the jack near the wheel, raise it so it lifted the wheel a bit, loosen the bolts, and then hammer the wedges in.

Of course, not anticipating that I'd have to do this, I used nyloc nuts and there was very little room to get a spanner in...took ages ;)

Screwfix castors by the way :(

Cheers

Rob

Just caught up with this one Helen. ;)

Wow!!, what a smart looking construction that is, and one that wouldn't look out of place in any garden.

Looks good, blends in nicely, and will introduce a whole new level of enjoyment to your astronomy.

Congratulations, on a job well planned an executed.

Dave

Good old Screwfix Rob - I should have bought shares!

Thanks Dave - your progress is looking good too 8)

Hi Eddie, I'm in the Rhymney Valley (just North of Ystrad Mynach) - don't think my marriage would cope with another build ;) but I can give you lots of 'lessons learned'!! My other option for a name was 'Cwtsh under the stars'

Helen

There seem to be quite a few astronomers down that way! Nobody is over here (brechfa / carmarthenshire).

'Cwtsh dan ser' would have been good also 8)

Eddie

Bet you get dark skies down in your part of the world! Probably only an hour from me...

Cwtsh is one of those words that I grew up with in my Wenglish valley dialect. It just has so many meanings, none of which really translate. Somehow giving someone a hug is not in the same league as giving someone a cwtsh!

Helen

• 1 month later...

It is too heavy Terry! We're regretting it, as we are having problems keeping the roof moving smoothly, and I need a pulley system to use it :shock:

So as much as I love the look, if over the next few weeks we can't get the rolling sorted it might have to be sacrificed for a lighter option :D

Once the electricity is sorted then the carpet goes down (donation from a friend) which will make it warmer and quieter at night :D And a couple of curtains will be added - between the obs and the warm room as light and draft excluder, and over the one window which hasn't got solar film - to keep prying eyes out!

Helen

What, in your opinion is causing the roof to bind Helen. Do the wheels that you used have bearings, or are they a Nylon material with just a hole where the spindle runs through.

Also, If a couple of wheels on opposite sides of the roof are tracking in or out, it could cause a friction and make movement difficult. It is very critical that the wheels are perfectly lined up.

Having said that, I am sure the builder would have checked for these possibilities.

The roof weight should not really be an issue if the wheels are up to it. IMO. that is. Of course, that moment of inertia has to be overcome. :D

Ron.

We think its a combination of things Ron - ie its causing us a problem understanding exactly what the problem is :D . The wheels should be fine - Screwfix fixed castors (as used by others on this forum 60kg rated each x12). The design of the roof (I made the mistake of specifying what I wanted it to do rather than how to do it) means that the four corners and the centre of the roof have potential to catch. There is a slight problem with flex in the roof structure too. If the wheels roll consistently then its not a problem, but in putting constraints in for the wheels we're adding alternative friction :D . That said, once its moving and not scagging its rolls fine. (But my shoulders muscles are growing a little :) )

We'll get there...

Helen

There is usually irritating snags that crop up. If it is not one major problem, then tackling each one as it is identified, will sort it in the end. Hope you don't dislocate anything in the meantime. :D

Might be worth considering motorising the mechanism.

Ron. :D

As Ron has said, usually a few things not quite what they should be.

I have to push the roof open from the right hand side of an 'A' frame, and pull it shut on the left hand side of an 'A' frame, this routine keeps it free running and square.

The wheels I used are 4" dia Micro Scooter wheels. they have bearings and run very easily and quietly.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Only just seen this thread. Just wanted to say want an amazingly inspiring job you've done Helen.

Can I ask - was this a 'normal' shed to start with which you've modified? Or did you design and build from scratch, or was it a built DIY obs? And am I allowed to ask how much you think it's cost (not accounting for time). Don't answer that one if you don't want to. :grin:

Also, are you going to show us some more pics from inside? That's where the action happens, as it were! :lol:

To answer your questions gurney...

We used a normal shed building company, who build all their sheds to order, so we just specified dimensions (including wall height) and that the structure should be stable in two bits - ie the roof and the building were independent structures. We bought the wheels, they fixed them, tested it etc, and then built it on site. We put the roofing felt and shingles on. We've had to do a lot of work to it though as the wood has settled, and the extra roof weight from the shingles has caused the roof to drop a bit. I should have specified the roof design more specifically with hindsight. I thought that as experieinced shed builders they would know best about stability, but sheds have so many more support points than a roll-off and I think they underestimated the extra supports needed.

But in the last week we have made major strides and it does now roll much better and doesn't hit the frame at all :D

On cost, I dread to think! The shed (built from log lap rather than tongue and groove which made it more expensive but makes it look so nice) was £1400, including assembly on site and included the support posts and rails and the necessary concrete. That was, I think good value as the shed is 11x8 (only £200 more than they charge for a standard build). But we have put a lot of money into stabilising it and tweeking it, and its surprising how expensive ropes and karibinas for pulleys can be too! And don't mention the time, because we've had a number of irritating problems we've been trying this and then trying that - it's sucked weekend time!

If I was doing it again I think I'd use a company that builds observatories not sheds!

But all that said, it sure feels like MY observatory - so much of me has gone into it (but you do feel sorry for my family and friends who've had to cope with my obsession over the past 6 months or so :grin: ).

Its now very nearly complete - I'm moving the PC out there this evening. And we'll get the flooring down in the next week.

I'll take some pictures later and post them :D

Helen

Archived