Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What Temperature to Set CCD

I've taken the plunge and bought my first CCD, the temptation of narrowband imaging was too much. My new (2ndhand) Atik 314L+ arrived at the weekend and against all odds I've had two nights of clear skies to play with it :smiley:

When it comes to the set point cooling should I be setting the temperature to the lowest I can get while within the 27 degrees below ambient that the cameras capable of or is there a "sweet spot" I should be aiming for?

So far I've had it set at 5 degrees C but I realise now that's probably too high (I didn't give it much thought at the time). I think the ambient was below 5 degrees last night because the sensor temperature dropped below the set temperature.

Thanks in advance.

I have warmer temps out here and so set my QSI to -10 all year round. It could reach much more than that in the winter and probably more in the summer, but I like having the same temp as it means I can use the same darks and bias frames all year round!

I've taken the plunge and bought my first CCD, the temptation of narrowband imaging was too much. My new (2ndhand) Atik 314L+ arrived at the weekend and against all odds I've using the Sony ICXhad two nights of clear skies to play with it :smiley:

When it comes to the set point cooling should I be setting the temperature to the lowest I can get while within the 27 degrees below ambient that the cameras capable of or is there a "sweet spot" I should be aiming for?

So far I've had it set at 5 degrees C but I realise now that's probably too high (I didn't give it much thought at the time). I think the ambient was below 5 degrees last night because the sensor temperature dropped below the set temperature.

Thanks in advance.

With a camera using the very quiet Sony ICX sensor the gains achieved in thermal noise below -10C over -20C is about marginal. You may get down to -15C during a cool summer evening but there is no point in pushing the camera if it is not required, set the temp to -10C and given that you use a very large number of Bias and Flats in calibration you don't even need darks.

A.G

If it has a power readout when running I would suggest you never let it run at greater than 80% averaged. I try for about 60/70% most of the time, but I don't get to use mine in the summer months, only the winter unfortunately.

Derek

Hi,

This may sound like a really stupid question, when you guys talk about -10 does that mean actual -10 temp or just 10 below whatever the ambient is, so if you set the camera at -10 and the ambient is +10 does that mean the camera will cool to zero degrees ? Or will it cool to actual -10 degrees ?? Which would be 20 degrees below ambient.

Told you it sounded stupid...

Regards

AB

No it's really minus 10 degrees, in camera specs they publish the ability to cool so many degrees below the ambient temperature so if the temp is say 20.C and you cool to minus 10.C it's cooled to 30.C below ambient.

Dave

Archived