Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Early (ish) morning Sun - 4th June 2015

Stu

Working from home again, so managed a nice half hour this morning before cracking on.

It really is worth observing early on, the views are so much better. In the Wedge, the detail was stunning. The seeing was variable, but when good the views of the main central spot were amazing, totally photographic with lovely petal like detail in the penumbra and similar fine detail in the umbra.

The large area of faculae has rotated further into the disk and is building nicely. Again, the detail visible here is almost 3D looking at the faculae, and some very fine detail in the spots.

Granulation much clearer this morning than during the day yesterday.

Ha views also nice, though to me less spectacular because of the lack of big proms. Still though, as I said yesterday, I'm enjoying matching the Ha and WL views of this new area.

Stu

Great stuff there! It seem that you like your new wedge quite a lot eh? :smiley: Very good! 

After days the sky is finally a bit steady! 

Hope to see the sun this weekend if it is clear. It has been a while since last time.  :rolleyes:

Great stuff there! It seem that you like your new wedge quite a lot eh? :smiley: Very good!

After days the sky is finally a bit steady!

Hope to see the sun this weekend if it is clear. It has been a while since last time. :rolleyes:

Yes, thanks Piero, I am!

It's clear that the real benefits come when the conditions are good. Under average seeing the Baader and Lunt are not so far apart, but under good or excellent seeing, such as early morning the Baader really shines.

Just had a better look in Ha, and there are actually still plenty of lovely proms. Perhaps I've just been spoilt by some of the monsters recently.

There is a lovely one close to the faculae, it is quite faint but almost looks like smoke from a couple of ships on the horizon.

There is also a fine jet which I assume to be a spicule over on the other limb. Nice.

Yes, thanks Pierre, I am!

It's clear that the real benefits come when the conditions are good. Under average seeing the Baader and Lunt are not so far apart, but under good or excellent seeing, such as early morning the Baader really shines.

Just had a better look in Ha, and there are actually still plenty of lovely proms. Perhaps I've just been spoilt by some of the monsters recently.

There is a lovely one close to the faculae, it is quite faint but almost looks like smoke from a couple of ships on the horizon.

There is also a fine jet which I assume to be a spicule over in the other limb. Nice.

WOW! All of this seems great! Very nice report Stu! 

Looking forward to getting my lunt out this weekend!   :smiley:  :smiley:

Crikey Rob, it'll be time for your siesta soon!

The Spicule has gone now, but other features still nice.

There are two very small pores below and right, close in to the main central spot in white light, two more above and left further out and spaced apart. Very nice.

Seeing has definitely dropped off a bit now but every now and then the detail is there still in WL

Ha seems less hampered by seeing for some reason, it still helps obviously but WL really is cracking when its crystal clear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great report, Stu. It does seem to me that h-alpha is a little more robust with poorer seeing. I got a nice h-alpha session in this morning, as you say, the proms, while still interesting, were not as mighty as yesterday morning's, but the disc looked a bit more lively I thought with the new AR on the scene. There was a nice circle of detail to the side of the largest spot.

Hopefully some more spots to come?

Nice Stu, got up early as the forecast was for clear but the sky was full of high cloud and contrails, looking a bit better now but I guess I've missed the best part of the day.

Was going to try imaging between the clouds but laptop decided to throw a wobbly.

Dave

Great report, Stu. It does seem to me that h-alpha is a little more robust with poorer seeing. I got a nice h-alpha session in this morning, as you say, the proms, while still interesting, were not as mighty as yesterday morning's, but the disc looked a bit more lively I thought with the new AR on the scene. There was a nice circle of detail to the side of the largest spot.

Hopefully some more spots to come?

It does look like this new active region is developing nicely doesn;t it?

Yes, I saw the circular detail, nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spent a nice 90 minutes of so with the Sun today.

Okay, not all that time was spent observing but it's such a nice day out I just took my time: watching the swallows swooping and diving and playing together, breathing in the heady air of the orange and lemon groves, chilling with

The tricky bit this morning was sketching with a cloth over my head under temperatures of 36ºC or so and trying to keep the sweat drops from crashing down on the chalk dust.

I would have posted earlier, but it was a late night last night with Saturn and all and just as Stu noted, it was almost time for my siesta. Being a man of habit, I didn't feel it fair to sacrifice such hardship :p

I realise I've probably exaggerated the active region in h-alpha but it was so complex and so gorgeous in detail, I may have got a little carried away :grin:

post-21324-0-91624500-1433420886_thumb.j

Great report! I also had a morning session today, and the detail in H-alpha was nice, but more sedate than it has been. As the filter warmed up, I picked up a new area of spots and faculae close to the eastern limb. Later, when the filter was on-band, there was a lot of activity in that area.

Thanks Michael, there was certainly plenty of surface detail going on in Ha, just today was one of those days where I found the level of detail visible in white light quite mesmerizing.

We are very lucky to have access to this sort of kit, quite amazing.

Thanks Michael, there was certainly plenty of surface detail going on in Ha, just today was one of those days where I found the level of detail visible in white light quite mesmerizing.

We are very lucky to have access to this sort of kit, quite amazing.

Too true. I wouldn't have dreamed of being able to use this kind of kit just a few years ago

Archived