NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stunning Night!!!

astromackem

I finally dusted off the scope for the first time in weeks (lack of clear nights has been ridiculous!).. left it out for 20 mins or so and I realised that there was an ISS pass so I rushed out, looked up and there it was- really bright! I didnt realise ISS could be that bright! Unfortunately I couldnt quite track it at 48x.

Next I fitted my Barlow for the first time and pointed at Jupiter- seeing not very good due to Jupiter now a lot closer to the horizon. I did get a few flashes of good seeing and the Barlow (at 240x) did make a difference.. clearer views of the main bands (my GRS dream may be within reach!)

Next up I pointed at Venus, which in the past has been far too bright. For the first time ever though I saw the phase. Loved that!

Now the big one... I knew Saturn was to the south somwhere (theres some big trees there for me) so I didnt hold out much hope. I did see a faint "star" peeping through but not high enough for my Dob. I waited a bit and through the twilight quite high up a brightish star appeared so I pointed the scope at it.. and there it was. My first ever view of Saturns Rings. WOW! With the Barlow (which really worked well on Saturn at 240x) I saw Cassinis Divison clearly.post-43564-0-35922600-1433374214_thumb.j

I didnt realise Saturn got that high up above the horizon- must be getting to the best time of year?

What a night- ISS, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn. I'll never forget my first look at the rings.

Reporting from Newcastle Upon Tyne 11:15-11:55pm 3rd June 2015

(photo was just a quick one through my phone as a keepsake)

Lovely.

I can't wait for my first view of Saturn, only got the scope yesterday and was delighted to see Jupiter and its moons, Saturn was too low for me from my back garden.

Are you sure you can't see it? I thought it'd be far too low down to see. After about 11:30 it appeared about as high as Venus in the West- quite comfortable for my Dob- though I did have to go to the back of the garden.

I've just upgraded the focuser on my 200p with the low profile dual speed crayford focuser, it's a vast improvement to the standard focuser but not a perfect fit. Does anyone know if some sort of baseplate seal or gaiter is available anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just upgraded the focuser on my 200p with the low profile dual speed crayford focuser, it's a vast improvement to the standard focuser but not a perfect fit. Does anyone know if some sort of baseplate seal or gaiter is available anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take i that your focuser looks a bit like this. If so perhaps use a suitable sealant, in my case I used Geocel the Works, a black sealant / adhesive, no shrinkage and has made a difference. 

Nice report on Saturn, Newcastle had clear skies last night to, a bit too low cruising just above a wall from my backyard.  

post-22819-0-92980100-1433592298.jpg

I take i that your focuser looks a bit like this. If so perhaps use a suitable sealant, in my case I used Geocel the Works, a black sealant / adhesive, no shrinkage and has made a difference. 

Nice report on Saturn, Newcastle had clear skies last night to, a bit too low cruising just above a wall from my backyard.  

Yeah I was out last night but the seeing was TERRIBLE.. I couldnt make out the Cassini at all. Not a very successful night.

Certainly and its low position will degrade the image quality if observing close to roof tops and other obstacles, perhaps Cow Hill on the Town Moor is the place to be. 

Maybe yes.

I'm sort of on the cusp of a bit of countryside here in Kingston Park so somewhere a touch further north could be good.

Archived