NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is a RACI overkill for my Heritage 130p?

Hi All,

I have been very happy with my Heritage 130p since I have had it. I find the red dot finder easy to use, but the one thing that is a pain is contorting myself to use the red dot finder for some sky positions.

I am considering getting a RACI, something like SkyWatcher's 9x50 Right-Angled Erecting Finderscope. I think this would be easier to use, but two questions:

I assume it should fit my Heritage 130p?

Is it overkill given the price of my scope (but I presume it can be used if/when I upgrade)?

Do others use them and what do you think of them (RACI)?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew.

Can't answer the questions regarding suitable for your scope but the RACI is a godsend for people like me, with a disaster area for a back, oh, and neck!

I like finders; they are necessary for me to enjoy what I'm doing. If the RACI does, indeed, 'fit' your scope I have no hesitation in recommending it. Telrads have a good reputation but I've never used one.

My other favourite is the Televue Starbeam but it's ridiculously expensive, to be frank.

RACI and a Rigel/Telrad is a great combo.

The only downside with a 9×50 is the weight as it's all metal - but that's no huge problem.

My 9×50 is a godsend for starhopping/hunting under city skies - and no more cricked neck when the scope is near vertical :)

I'm not sure it would fit onto the Heritage. You would need to find a way to add a compatible finder shoe which, as standard, I'm not sure that the Heritage 130 has from the photos I've seen of them. An 8x50 RACI is quite heavy as well - it might challenge the balance of the scope.

They are an excellent addition to compliment a red dot or illuminated reticule finder. I'm just not sure it will suit the scope :undecided:

Good point John. I'm hoping to add my RACI to my little Heritage 90 Mak (finder will be almost as big as the OTA lol). I'm not sure yet how or if it will mount, as you say...

No thread hi-jack intended - just a passing

thought :)

The RACI is quite a "lump", but its great bit of kit. I cannot see why it can't be fitted to the Heritage and given the link above, it can clearly be done. I would be more happy for it to be mounted via a conventional shoe rather than stuck on, as it is quite heavy. Given the easy access to the tube on the Heritage that should not be an issue either. If you decide at some point to get another scope, as most tend to do, the RACI can be transferred so it may prove a good investment.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived