NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW Star Adventurer tuition required please!

Hi All,

I realise that I could use a Polaris Finder app to do this, but I am having difficulty following the instructions to align Polaris in the SW Polarscope.

Page 23 of the manual:

"4. Adjust the date graduation circle first according to difference between the standard time meridian of your region and the observing site. For example, if you are in Prince Rupert, Canada which is 130 degrees West, then you have to turn the Date Graduation Circle to make the Time Meridian Indicator point to West 10 (which is 130 degrees - 120 degrees)".

What does that mean? I see where they get the 130 from, it's the latitude of Prince Rupert, but what is the 120? (Thinks: 3 x 120 = 360).  My location (Cardiff UK) is 3 degrees West of Greenwich, i.e -3, so where do I set the Time Meridian Indicator to?

So far, when I try this, I end up with the polaris indicator 180 degrees out. (Hmmm, 180 degrees, could be significant).

Any thoughts etc.,

Neil.

Forget the Graduation circles, make sure the Polar scope is centered in it holder, just align it with a distant object in daylight and turn the whole mount, the Polar scope should stay on the target adjust as necessary, use something like "Polar Finder" to see where Polaris should be on the circle in the Polar Scope then adjust so its in the right place and when you turn the mount is stays in the circle......i think that's about it ....

Hi. This is my first post so clearly I am no expert. I too have a star adventurer. I was also confused and used polar finder rather than the method in the manual. However, I have now discovered that this adjustment is only required outside of GMT time zone. It is the difference between the central reference longitude for a given time zone and the observers position within that time zone. There is a good description on astro-baby website. She is describing the heq5 mount but the polar scope is identical to the star adventurers.

Honestly though, you are always going to be more accurate with a graphical solution you can use to reference such as polar finder. Are you factoring in the fact that the polar scope on the adventurer is effectively rotated 180 degrees due to the inverted and mirrored image? Also make sure to factor in bst if applicable.

Hope this helps.

Al

Thanks Al, I realise that I'm better off using an app, I just wanted to get a handle on what was going on. I'll definitely have a look at Astrobaby's website. SW are obviously assuming that people that buy this have a knowledge of other finders. Funnily enough, the closest I got to getting it right was when the pointer was 180 degrees out! Didn't have a clue why though.

Neil.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

Ref star adventurer Day/ Date dial

Does anyone know what this dial is actually moving /adjusting within the star adventurer

Several sites incl Manual request that one turns the dial to Oct 31st during Polar alignment , again anyone know why

Lastly ,I have some info - Just purchased my star adventurer and it came with a small plastic ring to allow the Illuminator to be placed on the attachment bar , just like the one mentioned on many sites obtained via 3D printer .

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my two questions

Graham

Archived