Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beginner solar image Lunt 50 and Canon 60D

Owmuchonomy

I received my Lunt 50 B600 last weekend and have enjoyed immensely starting to learn visual with it.  I thought though I should try my DSLR stuck on the end of it.  I ran my 60D in 60fps video mode to capture 2000 frames.  After processing the file (in monochrome) I then used AS!2 to stack 20% of the best frames and put the tif file into photoshop to improve the brightness.  The jpeg output is attached.  I need to improve focussing by the looks of it.

Can I ask the experts if this is in general a reasonable process to refine and improve on or should I be using a different approach?  Any tips I should be aware of before getting into bad habits?  Advice much appreciated.

post-35542-0-87269700-1429974667_thumb.j

Congrats on your new purchase, sounds like you're really enjoying the scope. I'd be pleased with that image also it's great start to solar imaging, I can't even capture the sun spots in white light so far.

p.s where did you buy your Lunt 50 B600 from if you don't mind me asking? I'd probably buy one if I can find one in stock somewhere?  

Nice start indeed. Focusing is hard indeed. I sometimes lower gamma during focusing to see what I am doing

Hi Michael. Stupid Sunday morning question but what is gamma and how does it relate to my set up (canon 60 D DSLR)?

Archived