Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

logbooks?

adrastea

Once or twice in my life I've seen little blue astronomy logbooks for sale at quite random places, they seem quite detailed and good for observing. Does anyone know if these things still exist and if they do, where I can get one from? (edit: I've seen a few online observing logs for printing but I don't have the worlds best printer, and pages always get lost). I don't know if anyone knows what I'm talking about, but I hope someone will. Thanks :-)

adrastea,

You might try logging software. I use AstroPlanner, it's very good. You can download a demo version free to give it a try.

Apart from its logging abilities it allows you to plan an observing session allowing you to see what's in the sky at the time you want to observe. The registered version has more object catalogues than I knew existed and also user supplied plans for observing sessions.

< http://www.ilangainc.com/astroplanner/ >

--

Martyn

I think Astroplanner is on a S@N disk somewhere along the line, it looked pretty well featured and impressive. I'll have to give Deep Sky Planner a try as well, not that I get around to making many notes...its usually my astro New Years Resolution to start. :(

A proper logbook is on my "to do" list. I've got lots of bits of paper with "M such and such" and "NGC thingie" scattered all over the heap that is my computer desk.

However after a lengthy report of mine got eaten I started doing my reports in word before posting them on here, so I suppose somewhere on this computer is a copy of my observations.

I use a Spiral bound A5 notebook with perforations (Pukka Pad) from Tesco (£1.70 I think)

I have a standard template for noting date/time/location/weather etc then write a list of things I have seen (and indicate first views).

5045_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I have printed sheets full of 2 inch circles (with boxes for eyepiece, magnification etc) which I use for sketching at the scope. These can then be glued into the appropriate page. Photos or notes from the Internet can also be stuck in.

Because the book is spiral bound pages from the back can be removed as more photos/sketches are stuck in the the book gets thicker.

Brian.

Standard logbooks are all fine and well, but if I could begin all over again, I'd record everything on separate looseleaf pages so they could be put in order according to object, and not date. It's impossible to locate my observations when they're spread out in 5 logbooks. (There's 3 three ring binders of sketches, too. :shock:)

I scribble notes in a ruled A5 notebook, then type them all up in my blog. I'm using my blog as my logbook, although it needs a sort out and make some lists... Ah well. I then use an RSS reader to keep local copies of all the entries.

• 3 years later...

Archived