NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I saw the ISS through my scope

jnb

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally, I managed it. 32mm ep in the 10" dob.

tried a few times to no avail.

Tonight I could see a more square shape to the light being reflected off the ISS.

Well pleased, next time I'll try with my 20mm ep.

D.C

I've managed to view it and photo it by using the following techniques:

1) Very accurately align the finder scope with the main scope. (I use 2 illuminated reticules at the same time)

2) Fit a 40mm EP in 80mm dia finder scope = 8x magnification and wide FOW

3) A second person locates and tracks the ISS in the finder whilst I view through the scope at 70x magnification, it's easier to track as it's approaching and leaving as the slewing speed is less. It takes a bit of practice and coordination and it's not ideal but I manage to capture glimpses of it, sometimes for a second or so.

To photograph it I track it with through the finder and take multiple exposures when the ISS is centered in the finder, most images are scrapped but 1 or 2 turn out alright.

I can't add them now as I'm away on business.

I've never managed to see detail it in my 15x70s but I suspect that has to with their quality. Based on an angular resolution of about 3' for a fully dilated pupil it should be possible at 15x but I've never managed it.

Archived