Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunt 100 & 110 degree eyepieces

John

Lunt seem to be getting into the hyper wide eyepiece game in the USA:

http://telescopes.net/store/lunt-engineering-9mm-xwa-100-degree-eyepiece.html

The looks and specifications (the range also includes a 20mm 100 degree and 5mm plus 3.5mm 110 degree eyepieces) are remarkably similar to the Skywatcher Myriads, TS XWA's and Willam Optics XWA's apart from a more tapered top section and possibly (I've not seen it) a different eyecup design.

I wonder why they felt the need to do this ? - I can't think that they are paticularly suitable for solar viewing :icon_scratch:

Maybe the Quark has impacted their sales and they are having to diversify. I cant see the need for a 100+ degree eyepiece for solar as most already achieve a full disc :shocked: Their solar scopes are very well put together.

Remember under Lunt Engineering they do make both 70mm & 80mm Doublet OTA's, as well as a 152 APO.  Under Lunt solar systems they are sunny side up.  

Yes, I remember now. Their 152mm ED doublet is a conventional general purpose ED doublet made by APM in Germany. In the States it's currently on sale at around $2,300 which is quite a low price for such a scope. The APM baged one is  currently 3,300 Euros I think.

I didn't realise that Lunt had these two sides to their business though.

I swa one of the APM 152mm ED's at an Astro show a couple of years back - it looked a nice scope and very light for it's size and spec.

In truth John all these different brand names on the same object annoy me a bit at least I know the eyepieces I have, have only one name (10mm and 20mm stock) :grin: .

I wonder if they are all the exact same spec, maybe we will never know.

Alan

In truth John all these different brand names on the same object annoy me a bit at least I know the eyepieces I have, have only one name (10mm and 20mm stock) :grin: .

Alan

I tried the William Optics XWA and Skywatcher Myriad 9mm "back to back" for a few sessions and I could not see any differences at all in performance, or inded their external appearance, apart from which logo was engraved on them.

The Lunt's do seem to have a longer taper on the top section but otherwise I'd be surprised if there were any differences.

Alan

they are exactly the same spec Allan as these came from the same factory.Same thing with the budget binoviewers and other eye pieces.All came from one shed,but if you order they minimum quantity you get your own logo slapped on them.

If i could order lets say a 500 eye pieces or binoviewers(or whatever is the minimum order quantity),i will get the option of having my own logo and name printed on them once these are produced.

its like the same thing with the freebies (pens,lighters etc). :D

Shame really as market is getting degraded with some copied items.

As for the Lunt APO,that instrument had a very good feedback,actually very very good one.And for the price it has been offered,i would say it is a bargain.Where else you can get a nice 6" ED for 2k usd?If i didnt had the chance of getting my hands on Vixen,Lunt 152 would be my next stop.

.....As for the Lunt APO,that instrument had a very good feedback,actually very very good one.And for the price it has been offered,i would say it is a bargain.Where else you can get a nice 6" ED for 2k usd?If i didnt had the chance of getting my hands on Vixen,Lunt 152 would be my next stop.

Yes, it's on my list of possible future "wants" as well. I know of one of the APM ones for sale for £2.5K at the moment but ideally I'd like one for a bit less again :smiley:

Yes, it's on my list of possible future "wants" as well. I know of one of the APM ones for sale for £2.5K at the moment but ideally I'd like one for a bit less again 

6" ED/achro i think is the sweet spot for refractors under UK skies.Anything bigger and atmospheric seeing conditions come into play,cooling etc.At a push a 180ED might do but then you are talking serious money not only for a scope but also for a mount.

2500 is a price on a bit of a high end but not over the top.Hopefully you will find your "dream" scope some day.

I would buy one of them if I thought I could get rid of at least 3 of the others scopes I have, the wife is beginning to notice, mind you she is off to Sweden tomorrow :evil: .

My trouble is I would not be able to make up my mind between the APM 152mm ED and say the 150mm Espirit which also looks very nice and I can get one at a good discount.

Back to the eyepieces, Just because they are made under the same roof does not mean that standards cannot be different. I set up production in Jakarta and two sites in China of the same thing for different markets, but granted it was not optics.

Alan

I'm kinda happy I went with the ES100° as at least they have some individuality to them. Seems these myraids are flooding the market.  Good side I guess is it doesn't matter what brand you buy no-one will have to worry about eyepieces matching in their ep case anymore :grin:  :grin: .

Archived