NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Atmosphere

recceranger

Guys,

Not being an expert by any stretch of the imagination can I ask a daft Q

Out tonight during a clear window and no a cloud in site. Had the new SW MAK 150 Pro out for a test run. Checked collimation and its spot on. However, taking viewing of Jupiter up to around 150x was the absolute max (8 - 21mm zoom).

Anything further say out to 180x was wash out and even around 150x I would get a crisp focus (at least 4 cloud belts) and then it would soften

I was chasing focus left right and Chelsea!

I'm happy with optics (scope brand new and collimated) but I'm sure seeing is poor this evening. Can anyone confirm

Ps, scope had full 2hrs cool down or more

I has similar experience tonight with my SCT C8.  I think there was a lot of water vapour in the atmosphere as it was very murky at lower elevations and there were not that many stars to be seen despite there being no clouds.

Seeing can be a rear problem, but please also check if the scope has been allowed enough time to cool down to ambient temperature. SCTs are prone to that problem, which is why I store my OTA in an unheated garage (usually no more than 4-5 deg above outside temperature). Mak-Cass designs are affected even more due to the thicker corrector which acts as an insulator.

Got that Michael and I think it was cooled down more than enough. I think gkec hit the nail in the head. Even before the moon came up there wasn't many stars. Certainly a faint fuzzy free zone!

I'm pretty sure seeing was poor. On the plus side I got the MAK a run out so happy enough

I went out for a late night walk. The windscreens of cars were dewing up and the air felt like there was a lot of water about. Up high you could see haze/ thin clouds, so I guess the atmosphere, though looking clear wasn't that great for high magnification.

John

I was trying out a new webcam set-up last night, so I was a bit disappointed with the results.

Just could not get a sharp result.

Nice to know it's not just me!

I look forward to another clear night.

cheers

gaj

Guys,

Not being an expert by any stretch of the imagination can I ask a daft Q

Out tonight during a clear window and no a cloud in site. Had the new SW MAK 150 Pro out for a test run. Checked collimation and its spot on. However, taking viewing of Jupiter up to around 150x was the absolute max (8 - 21mm zoom).

Anything further say out to 180x was wash out and even around 150x I would get a crisp focus (at least 4 cloud belts) and then it would soften

I was chasing focus left right and Chelsea!

I'm happy with optics (scope brand new and collimated) but I'm sure seeing is poor this evening. Can anyone confirm

Ps, scope had full 2hrs cool down or more

Sell it! Sell the wife, sell the kids, sell the house, live in a tent and buy a Takahashi FC 100D fluorite doublet refractor. Couple that with a cheap binoviewer and a pair of 18 or 16mm orthoscopics and you'll never look back.

Over the last couple of weeks I've had some truly appalling seeing, yet the scope allows me to use magnifications well in excess of X200 regularly on the planets. X296 is currently my highest power yet the images are razor sharp and shows unbelievable contrast and definition. It sounds too good to be true, but it is true.

Mike :-)

In the UK the jet stream can play a big part in how good the views will be.

I've just bought a C11 and the first run out I was, frankly, very underwhelmed. Then I saw images on facebook from Helen which matched my views - poor. The following day Helen posted an absolute stonker of an image - really very good. Certainly one I would have been chuffed to pieces to get.

Try this link, this won't be the be all and end all for good seeing, but will be a step in the right direction. You want it as slow as possible over your location, or preferably not over your location at all.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream;sess=

Cheers

Ant

Well, there are no kids to sell and the wife is Welsh so if anyone gets sold it will probably be the Irish half of the household!

I got the MAK out the following night and although viewing still wasn't ideal it took higher power much better. Great view of Jupiters moon shadow in transit. Well impressed. Really glad though that I got the 150 over the 180. I think the HEQ5 wouldn't have been as comfortable with the larger OTA

Don't underestimate the HEQ5, it takes the Skymax180 with ease. I had one on loan from FLO for quite a while. It's a very nice combo.

Pleased that you had a good time out with the 150 though, the moments where the atmosphere play ball are lovely :)

Cheers

Ant

Archived