Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ethos - OK I was wrong........

Moonshane

I'm wondering if the longer eye relief of the Delos precludes the immersive view that you get from the ethos. I'm also guessing that the extra brightness is a very pleasurable optical elision which comes from there being just so much more of the image (FOV) in the Ethos.

Good luck finding a 17.3mm Delos. I've had Wanted ads on SGL and ABS. No Joy.

Paul

Think you've found one now Paul  :wink2:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I am now the delighted owner of a mint used 17.3mm Delos. Got a chance to use it on the sun today and it was really surprisingly good. Brighter and sharper than the Seben zoom at the same focal length and I can see me getting at least one more and possibly also replacing my Radians but not going to dive yet. On the sun in ha it gave about 57x and detail simply jumped out.

Cheers Stu. Of course I blame Derek and you for stirring the pot of envy!

Always happy to help. Picking the Delos rather than the Ethos was a pretty good decision though

Nice to see the excellent Delos coming out of the Ethos shadow.

Truth be told. If money were no object. I'd go for the Ethos. But, it is. So I don't.

From a couple of moon drenched outings, I'm loving the 17.3mm Delos. .

Paul

I don't really feel that Delos has ever been in the shadow of the Ethos, they are different eyepieces doing in my view a different jobs. I have a good few match ups in both ranges and if using say the 8mm for planetary I always use the Delos, I can understand bouncing the other way if you have a Dobsonian or undriven scope. I mean the the colours are the same and the view quality is very similar but there it ends, you could never say FOV or price fell into the same catagory.

Shane and Paul,

I am pleased you got the 17.3mm you both wanted and I have only one issue, I want one.

Alan

I agree with Alan. The Delos was developed from the Ethos. The design brief was "...a long eye-relief eyepiece design in the 70° AFOV range, retaining the key performance goals met with Ethos"

I think TV were aware of the impact the Pentax XW was making in the astronomy world as well :wink:

Archived