Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

where do i get modded,

thanks for the replies, will now look for a canon as these seem to be the favourites. not too sure which model as I need to convince  a certain lady that I require another camera to go with my two Olympus's, not wanting to have these modified, as I don't think the sensors  are good as the Canon.

Canon is the most popular way to go, lots of support with software and the different methods of modding are well documented on within the lounge. 
From the 450d up you have liveview which is a great bonus when it comes to focussing, lots available via Ebay.
Lee

+1 for Cheap Astrophotography. I got a reasonably cheap 1100D off of Ebay and sent it to Juan and even though he was going out of the country in a few days time he turned my camera around very quickly and everything works perfectly with no signs that the camera has ever been opened. He even sent the IR filter window back with the camera - I suppose in case I ever wanted to return it to its unmodified state.

I bought a Canon 600D on eBay and modded it myself.  There were a few fiddly bits, but generally it was very straight forward.  I just followed Gary Honis' website instructions www.dslrmodifications.com

Don't get a 350D if you are doing it yourself - involves soldering!  I checked how easy it is to mod the camera before I decided which model to buy.

I've had good cameras at great prices from these guys:  http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-digital-slr-cameras/

And I've had good mods from Astronomiser. But there are plenty of other sources too where you can get pre-modded Canons - Astro Buy/Sell UK is usually pretty reliable for astro related classifieds. Hth :)

I bought a s/h Canon 40D- took me about 40 minutes to mod. 

Having started using the Canon 40D in anger last weekend though I found it incredibly 'noisy' compared to my Fuji cameras.

Based on that I would seriously look at getting a used Fuji S5 Pro and mod that. I think they are in different league.......

EDIT- I assume modding an S5 Pro would be the same as a Nikon D200 since they are based on the same camera body, only the CCD's are different.

http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials/nikon-d200-ir

Maybe I should sell the 40D and buy an S5 Pro to mod......?

Archived